Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

5.2 rigging  Bottom

• What is the average time to rig a 5.2 ? thanks
  • Time can vary depending on what is already in place and the experience of the person(s) doing the rigging. If the running rigging is in place, then this task involves checking or installing the standing rig, rudders, mast-stepping, etc. Describe the starting condition of the boat. Are we talking about a boat on-shore with the mast up, or on a trailer with everything in a box and needing the mast stepped and rudders installed? Trampoline on?

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • This has been discussed before and it is so subjective there's no real answer. One thing I will say for sure is don't hurry and be methodical. When it's a beautiful day we want to get out there as soon as possible and one tiny distraction like failing to notice a split ring working loose can ruin your day. Another thing I can say for certain is no matter how long you've been sailing, you will continue to discover things that make trailering and set up easier.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Weren’t there 2 different mast bases on the 5.2, one style making it difficult to solo raise mast? I would guess that would add to setup time. I feel like most of the non spin boats in this size have similar setup times, which I won’t put a number on but it’s not bad
  • Boat on the trailer, mast down, with nothing installed except the standing rigging: about 1.5 hrs
  • boat on trailer backwards with custom mast cradle higher so mast easy to raise everything in sailbox stepping mast attaching rigging and sails .The reason i ask is completed resto and have not stepped mast and rig just want to know how long to plan for thanks
  • I agree with Andiista that 1.5 hours is a good estimate for first launch, and maybe give yourself 1/2 hour slack to check everything out.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • With back yard practice and trailering with rudders on, I got it down to 45 minutes solo. That is from the moment I arrive to leaving the shore. My old Trac 14 could be done in 15 minutes. Now that I have wings and a spin it takes double the time.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • spstack13What is the average time to rig a 5.2 ? thanks

The fastest I've taken my 18-2 from trailer to sailing is 20 minutes. I leave all rigging attached and shoved in the hulls. A benefit of the 6" ports on the Prindle. I leave rudders on. I sail the boat solo, so I use a 6' ladder to hold the mast tip up for stepping. I have 2 straps for the boat and 2 for the mast. Take off straps, move ladder back, place mast and then up. It probably takes the longest to tighten the battens. This is hurrying for a Wednesday Night Race. When on the beach, I stretch it to an hour.

I have had two of us fully assembling and rigging a Tornado in 45 minutes.

I would agree and suggest the hour and half as stated above. I find that it takes an extra 15 minutes for each person that comes up to chat and "help".

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • If you do it a bunch of times, you will figger out what needs to be disconneted and what doesn't. My H-18 is about 45 min up or down, even with a rookie helping.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.