Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Finishing and Sealing Hulls  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Man, a phone automatically pasting posts of things being done on-line is dangerous! Well, for the poster - could be entertaining for us... I sure wouldn't want a play-by-play of other "exploits"...

On another note - the boat's coming along properly! Looks like you're using a polyester-based fairing compound/glazing putty. Make sure that stuff is sealed with an epoxy sealer, if it's not completely waterproof. The manufacturer's actually post that on their data sheets. Even a good primer won't save the stuff - has to be "sealed", then primered.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • charlescarlis
    On another note - the boat's coming along properly! Looks like you're using a polyester-based fairing compound/glazing putty. Make sure that stuff is sealed with an epoxy sealer, if it's not completely waterproof. The manufacturer's actually post that on their data sheets. Even a good primer won't save the stuff - has to be "sealed", then primered.

Actually using West System 105 with 407 fairing compound. Made the mistake of using polyester resin on the front before I learned it wasn't water proof. All part of the learning process I guess.

JG
  • Hey, you got it figured out, me thinks - all good, right? Yup, all a part of the process. It's funny how you can tell that a paint project is going to turn out really good at the point the person is fairing and sanding in prep for primer - whether a car or boat. And, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably shoot single stage automotive urethane primer and topcoat, though a bit more expensive, after the epoxy seal prime coat. It's just easier to shoot, buff, etc. However, I think the marine paints MIGHT be a little more durable...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • My Two Cents...

I bought a Nacra 5.8 that had sat in the water during summers tied to a dock. Nevertheless, it was in very sad shape. I sanded at least half of the gelcoat off (my garage is still white), and primed and painted with Interlux, sanding between each coat and wiping with their proprietary thinner prep. Rolled and Tipped and voila. Took awhile to harden, and after sailing for the summer the bottom peeled and scratched in many places. I thought about it over the winter and decided to mask a strip on the bottom and paint a few coats of garage floor enamel all the way down the hull front to back. It should be pretty durable, but I am still carting my boat in and out of the water when I can. A ton of work for sure. Good luck...if you have any questions shoot me a message.

--
    Aberdeen, Washington State

1990 NACRA 5.8
    2017 Hobie Getaway

Memento Mori...
    --
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=137632&g2_serialNumber=4

progress photo. all painted up
  • Wow! Looks great! Perfectly straight. Good job! What paint did you go with?

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.