Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Finishing and Sealing Hulls  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Man, a phone automatically pasting posts of things being done on-line is dangerous! Well, for the poster - could be entertaining for us... I sure wouldn't want a play-by-play of other "exploits"...

On another note - the boat's coming along properly! Looks like you're using a polyester-based fairing compound/glazing putty. Make sure that stuff is sealed with an epoxy sealer, if it's not completely waterproof. The manufacturer's actually post that on their data sheets. Even a good primer won't save the stuff - has to be "sealed", then primered.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • charlescarlis
    On another note - the boat's coming along properly! Looks like you're using a polyester-based fairing compound/glazing putty. Make sure that stuff is sealed with an epoxy sealer, if it's not completely waterproof. The manufacturer's actually post that on their data sheets. Even a good primer won't save the stuff - has to be "sealed", then primered.

Actually using West System 105 with 407 fairing compound. Made the mistake of using polyester resin on the front before I learned it wasn't water proof. All part of the learning process I guess.

JG
  • Hey, you got it figured out, me thinks - all good, right? Yup, all a part of the process. It's funny how you can tell that a paint project is going to turn out really good at the point the person is fairing and sanding in prep for primer - whether a car or boat. And, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably shoot single stage automotive urethane primer and topcoat, though a bit more expensive, after the epoxy seal prime coat. It's just easier to shoot, buff, etc. However, I think the marine paints MIGHT be a little more durable...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.