Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Fix up aluminium spinnaker pole - Nacra 15 - temporary  Bottom

• Snapped a new-ish Nacra 15 spinnaker pole in 2. This was an on-land accident, not sailing, result is a pretty clean "cut" right at one of the snuffer ring rivets. A class legal replacements will take some time to arrive – is there any good guidance on repair for training and local races while we wait? 

Inner sleeve? Outer sleeve? Rivet or bond the sleeve into place?

I'm pretty good with CF sleeving and repairs, but lots to learn about aluminum.
  • I don't know for sure how it's supposed to be done, but I've had real good luck with aluminum and high quality epoxies: wash/de-grease, sand to give it tooth and wipe with acetone, then without letting it sit epoxy in an internal sleeve (I guess internal - lines???) - it'll hold, but it'll be stiff in the repair area - might/will affect pre-bend. I think there's a minimum number of diameters of pipe/tube size it needs to be inserted of equal or higher quality tubing... something like a minimum of 3-5 diameters worth of length internal and maybe even more external sleeve. Again - long time from memory. Good luck.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I've never seen a spinnaker pole but is there any reason you couldn't go to your local metal supplier and get a new tube? Removing the fittings and replacing them on a new tube would be easier I think.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • I modified my N20 spin pole to be a two piece pole for easier transport and sail box storage. The connection is an inner sleeve/bushing made out of 6061 aluminum stock. Has worked flawlessly for years. Only fastener is a single rivet on one piece and the other piece is held in place under compression when you prebend and connect the spin pole bridles.

In your case, if the snuffer rivets are in the way where the sleeve would be positioned, you would need to remove all the rivets to the snuffer and re-install after the sleeve is placed. Should be an easy fix to get you through.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I found a picture of my connection . . .
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=136278&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteI've never seen a spinnaker pole but is there any reason you couldn't go to your local metal supplier and get a new tube? Removing the fittings and replacing them on a new tube would be easier I think.

nothing at all
    both of my bow sprits are made from regular alum tube stock
  • martin_langhoffSnapped a new-ish Nacra 15 spinnaker pole in 2. This was an on-land accident, not sailing, result is a pretty clean "cut" right at one of the snuffer ring rivets. A class legal replacements will take some time to arrive – is there any good guidance on repair for training and local races while we wait? 

Inner sleeve? Outer sleeve? Rivet or bond the sleeve into place?

I'm pretty good with CF sleeving and repairs, but lots to learn about aluminum.

You can do an inner sleeve pretty easily. I've taken the same diameter tubing, cut a slit length wise that is wide enough to close the gap when pressed inside the tubing. Unless you get lucky and find a tube with exact OD to match the pole ID. Slide splice in and rivet that end. when you slide the other end of the pole on, you can either rivet this end also, or leave it so you can pull pole apart. I have done this method for masts, booms, poles, etc...

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • That's clever, and have completely forgot about the approach. Nice. I've found a mix of aluminum 6061 pipe and 6061 tube can usually get you pretty close to a slide fit, but a custom press fit with rivets is likely to be more successful...I think.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I did a splice and sleeve on my mast. Pretty easy. I used screws instead of rivets at the advice of Tom at Aquarius Sails. He also suggested (highly) to use 5200, which I did. But if you're going to want to break it down, don't do that. It works, not one issue with the mast now.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=136051&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=49b268c3e2cae4edeed193b3de807082
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=136055&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=89cbd71357566a6c41908f6bad148d56
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=136282&g2_serialNumber=2

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.