Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Selling both of my Mysteres  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Ouch. I certainly suggest seeing an orthopedic doctor and discuss options. Hopefully they present a good one, and you can focus on selling the Mystere you use less and getting back on the water with the one you use the most!

Certainly on the 6.0 I would want a 12:1 mainsheet. I’ve gone from 8:1 to 10:1 to 12:1 on the F18 and each time it’s been an improvement. Loads are noticeably lower, I come off the water ready to race another day, and leech tension is more controllable. I can see the argument for sheet response, heard it plenty of times with the foiling A but I know three of us that are using 12:1 setups and we are all happy in general.

I agree that for cruising/beaching the A isn’t the right boat, but for a super fun ride that is generally easier on the body, a classic A is an attractive option. Those I generally suggest a 10:1 or maybe 11:1 mainsheet system on, as the loads are more manageable than on the foiler.

Edited by samc99us on Mar 26, 2022 - 09:14 PM.
  • Thanks Sam. I sailed last sat in 15-20 and it didn't hurt then but is pretty bad all week
    I will talk with my GP and get a referral to an Ortho
  • I just became a member of this community, because my husband bought me a Nacra 5.2 for my birthday. For years my screensaver was a Mystere on a fun ride. I learned to sail on a Mystere 6.0, where they are born. What a wonderful catamaran. Sorry you have to part ways with it, it must be heart breaking. I live in St Pete, if you have good recommendations for launching spots I'm all ears.

--
    Caroline
    Nacra 5.2
    St Pete, FL
    --
  • Thanks!

there is a large fleet in gulfport - much closer to you in st pete otherwise dunedin causeway is cat sailing Mecca
  • MY TURN

About 3 weeks ago at the gym I was doing incline bench presses, my plan was a light weight high rep set. When I lifted the bar off the top hook my right shoulder collapsed = very painful. The general consensus is that I have a torn labrum. I'm in wait and see mode right now and enjoying Aleve very much. Unfortunately the long and short of it is that I'll be on the sideline through all of 2022 and hope to be back in the game next season.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • oh man, sorry to hear
  • MN3oh man, sorry to hear

Thanks for that. I felt aweful when you first started this post that any passionate cat sailor is taken out of the game. I hope you can find a fix for your shoulders. It seems even if you can get them surgically repaired the rehab time is about a year and a half icon_confused

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • QuoteI was doing incline bench presses ,... When I lifted the bar off the top hook my right shoulder collapsed = very painful.

That's why i NEVER work out - it will kill ya !
  • MN3Thanks Sam. I sailed last sat in 15-20 and it didn't hurt then but is pretty bad all week

Have they taken any pictures of your shoulder yet and confirmed a diagnosis? You may not require an ortho consult.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • QuoteHave they taken any pictures of your shoulder yet and confirmed a diagnosis? You may not require an ortho consult.

I have not done anything yet. I have a Dr's appointment (at the VA) in a few weeks - I will discuss with my GP and she will give me a referral - that is the only way it works with the VA.

I have not sailed in a few months now, and I have zero discomfort at this time
  • MN3Thanks Sam. I sailed last sat in 15-20 and it didn't hurt then but is pretty bad all week

As someone that has been to a physical therapist I can't recommend enough good things. A good PT is a miracle worker if you ask me
  • QuoteAs someone that has been to a physical therapist I can't recommend enough good things. A good PT is a miracle worker if you ask me

How is your mystere? any update?
  • I'm here to respectfully suggest that you should perhaps reconsider and re-assess your belief that your shoulder is finished - and with it, your cat sailing career. Maybe don't sell all your boats just yet if you haven't already. It's a shame to see someone who is obviously as into cat sailing as you are feel they are forced to bow out.

Obviously, I don't know you or your specific shoulder situation, and everyone is different; and by no means am I ignoring or minimizing the extent of pain you said your shoulder was in either. However, shoulders can get so inflamed and painful that they can make you believe you are finished and could not possibly recover without something drastic like surgery and/or stopping the aggravating activity forever - even though that may not turn out to be the case.

There's nothing wrong with going to an orthopedist, but unfortunately many of them are not necessarily that tuned into the details of what/how PT can improve your situation. They do usually refer you for PT though, which is good, and the question then becomes whether you get a PT who knows what to do with you.

I suggest you consider hanging from a bar. Maybe work up to it if you can't do it right away. See this video, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9KZVdFSmQ. These guys are physical therapists, but they admit the bar-hanging suggestion comes from a book written by an orthopedic surgeon on how to recover from shoulder pain/injury and maintain shoulder health. I think they post a link to the book in one of their videos, and the doctor is John Kirsch, MD. He asserts that hanging can actually change, or "re-model," the structures in the shoulder, so that the shoulder joint opens up, reducing impingement and allowing more pain-free movement. Once you go to the video, you will see a lot of other videos from these guys and others also recommending hanging, as well as other movements that I found helped big-time.

When I bought my boat, the shoulder pain I got at the end of the day after having pulled really hard on the halyard multiple times was so bad I thought maybe I'd made a mistake buying it. However, I started hanging and it has helped me in a big way. It did take time (I've been doing it 2 years now), and my shoulders are not perfect, but I lost a lot of pain and gained a lot of shoulder functionality back. Also, it's important to get correct upper back and shoulder blade position, then only pull lines with your shoulders and shoulder blades well-retracted before you start of the pull.

I think this guy's video is good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZEYZXcn-C4.

Well, hopefully some of this might be helpful. Wishing you good luck.

Edited by CatFan57 on Jun 12, 2022 - 03:22 PM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • QuoteI suggest you consider hanging from a bar.

Appreciate it! I am seeing my GP next week.
    I will look into "hanging" but i have resigned my commission, I am giving over the helms to someone else.

I am not done sailing, but I am done sailing large volume, unassisted sheeting for now at least. I need to get both these boats out of my back yard so I can move on other options (and to fix my yard and fence).

I would LOVE it if someone in this core group wanted to buy these, use these, resell them for a profit, ....

I have lowered my price: $4250 for both boats and trailers (all registered), and all sails

2 FL (registered) mysteres each with new jibs, mains in good shape, 2 spin poles, hoops and spinnaker sails
    2 FL (registered) trailers (one is custom Alum with extending yoke for easier stepping)
    Custom wings (fit on both)

https://www.thebeachcats.…as-mainsail-reefing.html

Edited by MN3 on Jun 13, 2022 - 12:22 PM.
  • QuoteOuch. I certainly suggest seeing an orthopedic doctor and discuss options.

Well had the x-rays and MRI's
    lots of issues (and big words):
    degenerative changes in the AC joints and glenohumeral joints, labral fraying (tears) with paralabral cysts posteriorly, supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendinopathy

AKA - i am getting old and worn out. lol

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.