Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help ! From Argentina  Bottom

• Hi, I'm Nicolás and I live in Argentina.
    I have a Hobie 16 and I really want to kill a paint shop owner.
    After explaining and showing him the photos of how to make these small holes and then fill them in, the following happened to me ... Instead of making small holes in the deck, he decided to make several holes in the sides of the hulls and loaded 11 lbs of epoxy resin. I attach an image.
    My question is if this could affect the performance and balance of the boat due to the difference in weight.
    Now that it is done I have to find the best solution.
    Should I do the same to the other Hull?
    I listen to advice. Thank you

https://youtube.com/shorts/rdDlOuJl80s?feature=share
  • https://youtube.com/short…dDlOuJl80s?feature=share

Welcome. I definitely would NOT add 11lb to the other hull
    Someone more knowledgeable on Hobie will chime in. In the meantime, for some reason it takes a bit of time for posts to upload.
    After you select “SUBMIT”, once, just wait, go get a coffee. It will load, it just has to grind away for a bit. If you hit submit several times, thinking it didn’t work, you get multiple copies of your post.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Apparently, the paint shop owner doe'nt listen to advice, I'd tell him he owes you a hull icon_rolleyes
  • What was the purpose of drilling the holes and filling the hull with epoxy? Were you trying to fix a soft spot?

sm
  • Hi !
    @Edchris177 yes ! sorry first time here ! @carl2 yes, I think the same, now I want to do my best to solve @Dogboy

Yes, the purpose was to fix the soft spots on the deck, but I don't hear myself.

Thank you all for answering

Could you give me tips to fix it?

Queries:
    1. Could 11 lbs. Affect boat performance?
    2. What do you think of opening a browser window to remove that material? I worry that it will weaken and when the process is finished it will have a similar weight.

Thanks again
  • 11 lbs on your hull is like carrying a 6-pack of beer. It is not going to move around and provided it is not concentrated near the bow, may not be noticeable unless you are a very high performance oriented sailor. It's one of those things that will bother you because you know it's there. I assume if you were attempting to have the deck injected, this is far from a new boat, and it already has some weight gain from water in the deck. I seriously doubt you will be able to tell the difference.

Your YouTube link did not work for me. Was the resin injected near the top of the hull with the boat turned upside-down? Is the resin distributed through the hull under the deck? If you can clarify what exactly happened it would help. I know older boats with the bottoms re-glassed and gel-coated that may be carrying a similar amount of weight.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Hi Nicolás,

Is the deck stiff now? If so, one of your problems are solved.

Have you compared the weight of the two hulls separately? If they differ a little, like you suspect and you are not actively racing, just sail on. You will probably not notice,

Edited by revintage on Dec 04, 2021 - 01:51 PM.

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --
  • Hi, thanks for the answers.
    On Tuesday a friend will lend me an endoscopic camera to take a look inside.
    I'm going to make a video and some photos.
    I also found the pontoon weights an excellent idea! I'm going to do both and then I'm going to share the information with you.
    I really appreciate your help.
    I felt quite sad about this topic.
    In the week I send you the news.
    Greetings from Argentina

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.