Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help identify this roller furling swivel on a Nacra 5.8?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• The 164 is an old part number. I use the Harken 207HP. I have used the Harken, Ronstan, Schaefer and a European brands. I have found the standard Small Boat furling gear works well, but struggles under load. That's why I upgraded. I have a sailmaker swage fitting on the top of the forestay and just run the jib halyard through the sailmaker eye and back down the luff. Keep It Simple...

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • QuoteI have found the standard Small Boat furling gear works well, but struggles under load.

i agree and that is when you really need it to work
  • Scott, what is the primary driver to move from something like the 1880 to the 207HP? I think the 164 only had a max load of 900 or 1000lbs but the new high load swivels (1880) have a rating of 2000lbs which equals the 207HP.
  • carboncScott, what is the primary driver to move from something like the 1880 to the 207HP? I think the 164 only had a max load of 900 or 1000lbs but the new high load swivels (1880) have a rating of 2000lbs which equals the 207HP.

Mainly set-up. The top pig-tail I built is a sailmaker swage eye on the bow shackle to a swage marine eye that pins in the top of the 207HP. With the top shackle on the 1880, it would be too bulky for my liking. The 207HP is 2.5 oz lighter than the 1880 for those counting weight.

Mainly, to me, it comes to how the swivel sets-up with the forestay. I'm sure some will attach the top of the 1880 directly to the bow shackle. Over the years, I have had the swivel bind up when I did that. That is why I drop the swivel down a foot or so. Plus, it gets the excess weight from the swivel lower.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • This explains why Scott was discribed to me on the dyke as “the one everyone is always trying to catch”.

Edited by carbonc on Nov 30, 2021 - 06:26 PM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.