Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

nacra 5.7 travaler  Bottom

• Anyone know how to install the traveler back on the track, The balls fell out when I removed the plastic stopper and slid it off the track. (I had know idea the balls would just fall out) I can not find directions to reinstall it back on the track.
    Also how many balls are there supposed to be? I think I have all of them but am not sure the number.

Edited by rungi on Oct 19, 2021 - 10:03 PM.
  • Post a photo of which traveller you have. Our 5.0 uses a shorter one than the 5.7
    Balls are easily purchased, they come in little bags of 11 IIRC.
    The older travellers are non captive, as you’ve discovered.
    Two choices, get a car loader, (a plastic sticklike thingy), or put shaving cream or toothpaste into the car once the balls are in.
    It will hold them in place, & a squirt with a hose, or bucket of water will wash it out.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I was thinking my 1985 N5.7 took 2 bags with 21 balls in each bag.
  • Harken made a plastic loader. you put the car on it, loaded the bearings then slid it on to the traveler track.
    There were 2 sizes. Small and Large. I think it was the large on the main traveler and the outhaul on the main was the small. Sold mine with my Nacra 5.5 years ago. The new cars have captive bearings.

https://www.westmarine.co…der--189667?recordNum=19

https://www.westmarine.co…der--195162?recordNum=14

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • jd91tI was thinking my 1985 N5.7 took 2 bags with 21 balls in each bag.

You’re right, they come 21 to a bag. I did pick up a loader, along with a bunch of spare parts & a mainsail on a road trip to California years ago.
    Here is the thread from my first experience. I have the larger Harken car, about 4.5” long, it takes 64 balls.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…nc=viewtopic&topic=11583

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Nacra uses the small car on both, traveler and outhaul. You can use their loader car (I may have one in storage), or you can use a small piece of similar track to use as a loader. I have heard of people using a thick soap, like Dawn, to somewhat glue the balls in place and it washes out once you have the car loaded. There is a standard and a hi-load car for the small tracks. I'm pretty sure you have the standard car, unless it has been recently updated. The car will have hi-load on the side if it is. When you order new balls, it does not hurt to double your order and keep spares. Who knows how long Harken will continue to make them. The new cars have captive balls. Oh, the tracks are different if you are thinking of upgrading cars.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.