Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA 5.7 main halyard broke  Bottom

• Today sucked main halyard broke just after unloading and rigging the boat on a beutiful day. The sail was all almost to the top and I pulled the line on more time to secure the ball under the toe and it broke right at the ball. https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=135905&g2_serialNumber=3
    How can this be fixed? Do I need to buy a new halyard and ball can this be fixed easily?
    I am starting to hate wire halyard and do not understand why they are used. I have gotten rid of the wire jib halyard and wish I could to the same with main halyard, but it has to hook under the toe at the top of the mast.
  • Your boat is 40 years old. Stuff wears out.
    Several advised to replace all wires, it’s good advice.
    They used it because it’s simple, strong, & nearly no stretch. You would have worn out several line halyards in that timeframe.
    The first time you have to hoist, or drop your main, while not pointed into the wind, you will be glad it uses a ball/fork. The sail can be dropped even hard against the shrouds.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • That is not an unusual failure for the halyard. The first time it happened to me, I was on a race to Put-In-Bay in Lake Erie and out of sight of the mainland. A new halyard will not break the bank. Looks like EdChris last broke his in 2018. https://www.thebeachcats.…opic/topic/17416/start/0 I have learned to keep a spare. We both have had the Salty Dog halyard, and This is the one on-deck https://www.murrays.com/product/02-4473-50/

Edited by tominpa on Oct 10, 2021 - 11:30 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Usually you get some warning. A strand or two breaks first before the whole thing goes. I had one replaced recently using "Sailing Services" out of Miami. I mailed them the old one and within a few days they duplicated it.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • rungiToday sucked main halyard broke just after unloading and rigging the boat on a beutiful day. The sail was all almost to the top and I pulled the line on more time to secure the ball under the toe and it broke right at the ball. https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=135905&g2_serialNumber=3
    How can this be fixed? Do I need to buy a new halyard and ball can this be fixed easily?
    I am starting to hate wire halyard and do not understand why they are used. I have gotten rid of the wire jib halyard and wish I could to the same with main halyard, but it has to hook under the toe at the top of the mast.

Yes and this is typical on the ball-stop swages. Not sure where you are located, but the only one I know of that has the swage dies for this is Stix n' Rig'n in Kemah, TX. I have built dozens of halyards with ball-stops. Sailing Services does a great job as well. I have dealt with Brooks for decades.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • QuoteYour boat is 40 years old. Stuff wears out.
    Several advised to replace all wires, it’s good advice.

+1
  • It’s a bit if money but I suggest replacing all the wire rigging on a new to you boat. Murray’s sells them. It’s good insurance. Learned my lesson a few years ago when a squall hit nd a diamond snapped and the shock threw me 20 ft. I damn near drowned on a 5 km/5 km lake. Had all my safety gear but was seriously alone in the water for a few hours.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I have ordered them. The rigging appears to be in good condition enough to sail this weekend. I actually lost a diamond wire a few weeks ago in 15mph winds but it did not break. The jib block some how caught the diamond wire ringy ding and tore it out and the pin fell out. The diamond wire was swinging free. I was luckily close to a beach and was able to release the sail and make it. I am going to tie the preventer higher now and maybe use the pigtail if needed. Thanks or the advise.
  • The rigging guy who made the new halyard told me the halyard wire was still in good condition
    Although he used new wire to make the new one. I actually replaced both pulleys too. At the time I did not realize one pulley was damaged and when I pulled hard the halyard broke at the ball as you can see in the picture. But I think it was on its way out anyway and am happy to have the new halyard. The sail is very easy to raise and lower now.
  • Quote The rigging appears to be in good condition enough to sail this weekend. I actually lost a diamond wire a few weeks ago in 15mph winds but it did not bre

funny thing about rigging - you can't see inside it where it fails - so even if you use magnification, and uv paint and bluelight it is reallllllly hard to see the part that will crap out.

who was "the rigging guy"?

QuoteThe jib block some how caught the diamond wire ringy ding and tore it out and the pin fell out.

tape all rings

Edited by MN3 on Nov 05, 2021 - 11:20 AM.
  • zern rigging
  • Quotezern rigging

cool - much better than "the guy at west marine"

Looks like a mostly reputable place if they have been in business as long as they say - their website copy-write is 11 years out of date which is a big red flag for some items, but not for a rigger -many of the ones i know are the kind of people who hate computers :) and don't care about updating a website

so if they did a real inspection - that is good news but as a good practice (as mentioned above ad nauseam ) ... when in doubt of gear history .....

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.