Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Would I be crazy to buy a Hobie FX One?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• An FX1 just came up on Craigslist in RI.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • QuoteIt's designed as a single hander, but can fly a jib and a kite, and has daggerboards. I'm disciplined and I could resist the temptation to get more sail out than i can handle. I'd be happy to sail with just the main for as long as it took to get that right, AND I could sail it with experienced crew to help me learn the boards and kite over time. As I understand it I could leave the jib furled and just leave the boards on the beach at first, It seems less prone to pitchpolling, resembles the bigger racing cats that I could crew on, so I could be gaining comfort there (boards specifically).

It seems that some Fx-ones have a jib and other don´t, I suggest to check, if it matters to you.

Edited by Andinista on Oct 04, 2021 - 11:01 AM.
  • I've sailed hobie 14s for three years, and just upgraded to a FX1 a few months ago. Wanted something modern, performance orentated, but w/ capicty to take my daughter and her friends out. As someone slightly younger, but lighter (43, 145lbs, tech minded) the FX1 checked all the boxes for me, and can live with the potential downsides. My club is mostly scows/waves w/ an F17 thrown in the mix, the F16 and a-class are also very attractive. Price was right for me in the end.

So far I couldn't be happier w/ my decision. I've had it out solo up to 12mph, shifty and gusting to 19 with some close calls (due to my own stupidity), but havent' capsized yet, nor needed to hike out. Honestly its an intimadating boat coming from a 14, but out on the water I've found it much more forgiving than a 14 and is easily de-powered. I've yet to come close to its potential and I've learned something new on every outing.

It is a trick to rig solo from a trailer but doable w/ winch and right technique. Next year will have the ability to leave the mast up. I can manhandle it solo ok on land once rigged.

Pros:
    -Modern hulls and rig
    -Plenty of volume and space for 2 up or a couple of kids
    -Lots of performance potential (uni or sloop, w/ or w/o kite), feeds the techo aspect.
    -Ability to put wings on it
    -Much better pitch stability compared to the 14/16

Cons:
    -Rig time from trailer (uni isn't bad compared to a 14, spin, jib wings take extra time)
    -Part availability is the big one. Mine had 3 new sails and 2 used. Some common parts w/ tiger, but rigging will have to come from EU or custom made. Will be doing new fore stay and shrouds over the winter.
    -No class to race against. I've been club racing w/ handicaps.
    -Will be harder to right solo vs my 14, but w/ bag or pole shouldn't be too bad.
  • I have an FX One for sale on Beachcats. If you're a serious buyer, give me your phone number and I'll call you. I will NOT respond to any emails that can't be verified.

--
    High Point, NC

Exploder A15 A-Class Catamaran
    Hobie FX One Catamaran
    Hobie Tandem Island Trimaran
    Weta Trimaran
    --
  • pwork20I've sailed hobie 14s for three years, and just upgraded to a FX1 a few months ago. Wanted something modern, performance orentated, but w/ capicty to take my daughter and her friends out. As someone slightly younger, but lighter (43, 145lbs, tech minded) the FX1 checked all the boxes for me, and can live with the potential downsides. My club is mostly scows/waves w/ an F17 thrown in the mix, the F16 and a-class are also very attractive. Price was right for me in the end.

So far I couldn't be happier w/ my decision. I've had it out solo up to 12mph, shifty and gusting to 19 with some close calls (due to my own stupidity), but havent' capsized yet, nor needed to hike out. Honestly its an intimadating boat coming from a 14, but out on the water I've found it much more forgiving than a 14 and is easily de-powered. I've yet to come close to its potential and I've learned something new on every outing.

It is a trick to rig solo from a trailer but doable w/ winch and right technique. Next year will have the ability to leave the mast up. I can manhandle it solo ok on land once rigged.

Pros:
    -Modern hulls and rig
    -Plenty of volume and space for 2 up or a couple of kids
    -Lots of performance potential (uni or sloop, w/ or w/o kite), feeds the techo aspect.
    -Ability to put wings on it
    -Much better pitch stability compared to the 14/16

Cons:
    -Rig time from trailer (uni isn't bad compared to a 14, spin, jib wings take extra time)
    -Part availability is the big one. Mine had 3 new sails and 2 used. Some common parts w/ tiger, but rigging will have to come from EU or custom made. Will be doing new fore stay and shrouds over the winter.
    -No class to race against. I've been club racing w/ handicaps.
    -Will be harder to right solo vs my 14, but w/ bag or pole shouldn't be too bad.

Pretty much everything you said is true, and my experience to date with my FX One. With lower displacement, flatter hulls, self-tacking jib, and dagger-boards, my FX One single-handed can turn faster than some heavier/larger 17-18' catamarans with a crew. I have a club where I keep it mast up. Most of our club racing nowadays is open multi-hull.

--
    High Point, NC

Hobie FX One Catamaran
    Weta Trimaran
    --
  • Oh yeah ... craigslist. Forgot about that!
  • sidecar

Pretty much everything you said is true, and my experience to date with my FX One. With lower displacement, flatter hulls, self-tacking jib, and dagger-boards, my FX One single-handed can turn faster than some heavier/larger 17-18' catamarans with a crew. I have a club where I keep it mast up. Most of our club racing nowadays is open multi-hull.

Forgot about tacking...simply amazing how quick the FX turns compared to my 14, definatly a pro.
  • sidecar

Forgot about tacking...simply amazing how quick the FX turns compared to my 14, definatly a pro.
  • Um... FX One with wings???? !

How does that work? I'm already thinking about an upgrade, myself (sorry don't mean to hijack), but what wings do you bolt onto an FX One Wings are like a necessity for me...Or did I just miss that they're a standard option?

Edited by charlescarlis on Oct 04, 2021 - 02:10 PM.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • You can probably find a set of FX One wings from some dusty closet at a Hobie dealer in the US, otherwise, call Hobie Europe. There are two types, the wider padded "comfort" wings and narrower "performance" bars that insert into cutouts on the front and rear crossbars. If wings are a necessity, I would go with the Getaway and the higher handicap for racing!

--
    High Point, NC

Hobie FX One Catamaran
    Weta Trimaran
    --
  • We have a guy local that has a FX One and I believe he is a little older than 55. It seems like a great boat. He is typically very competitive. I would suggest you sail one before pulling the trigger. Try sailing a H16 also. I would say something with a carbon mast may be easier to handle in stepping and unstepping; but I have built systems to raise a mast singlehanded. Another thing to consider is your tinker to sail ratio with a boat.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.