Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

trapeze for 5.7  Bottom

• Do the double trapeze lines need to both go on the same side of the boat?

I only want one trapeze line on each side of the boat. (Hooked to bungee on the front beam)

Can I use a the double trapeze line and run one wire to one side of the boat and the other to the opposite side of the boat?
  • I have never heard of anyone doing that. I suppose you could as long as you can figure a way to attach the one thimble where it would be sufficiently above your shrouds. But why do that? The 5.7 is big enough to need a double. If you're by yourself reaching all the way forward to the cross tube is too far. If you insist on having a single, why not fix it where you can easily detach it from the shock cord that runs through the cross tube and attach it to another shock cord that runs under the tramp somewhere in the vicinity of the shroud adjuster. That way when you need it for single handing you can have it close by.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • The only problem I see is that the thimble may scratch the front of the mast every time you change side, or when not in use. Something like this might help
    https://www.h2o-sensation…lcony-8215000882415.html
  • QuoteCan I use a the double trapeze line and run one wire to one side of the boat and the other to the opposite side of the boat?

Yes, you can do that. I only run one set on the H18, as it has wings, & one set on my high wind boat, a Dart 15.
    Simply attach the thimble to the upper hole on the mast hound, & run a wire to each side. Placement of the bungee is more complicated with a single wire.
    On a skeg hull you need to be way forward when upwind, unless you get the bow down into the water, you lose pointing ability. However, on a screaming broad reach, you need to be back near the rear beam. It’s hard to rig bungee through the front beam for both these positions, & still have it exerting an upward pull on your hook.
    If it doesn’t exert upward pull, your hook falls off the dog bone & you go swimming when hiking out.
    Also, if you are going to use a single trap, the wire is only the correct length for one position, therefore you need to set it up as an adjustable system. This is done with a small block, cleat & bit of line. Do a search, there are numerous photos showing how to rig this
    I run single lines through grommets mid tramp. Here is the single setup on my big wind boat. It is adjustable, but hard to see in this photo.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…0d4b09ce927dfd54ed2c62cd
    For beginning sailors on an N5.7 a single trap is OK. However, remember, it’s a 19’ boat, & as Bill mentioned, if you want to pull full power, in 15mph, you’ll both need to be on the wire.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 15, 2021 - 08:29 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Here is how I had adjustable traps rigged on my 20’ x 10’ Mystere, AKA The Beast. Soloing that with a tramp launched spin was an adventure.
    http:// https://www.thebe…136&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Yes, as you move aft the end of the trap wire would be higher up. Good point Edchris. On a smaller boat like a H16 it is common for the skipper to be so far back his foot is almost on the transom. However, single handing a 5.7 in my experience one spends almost all his trapeze time amidships. If it's necessary to go that far aft on a 5.7, conditions are such you should not be out by yourself unless you're really experienced. Don't forget, most "dog bones" have 6 inches of adjustment built in. If you're still set on having only one trap wire, this is how I would do it: Make sure your tramp has a grommet on each side right near the shrouds. Run your shock cord under the tramp, through the grommets to bulls eye fairleads mounted just aft of the shrouds. Your 5.7 may already be rigged like this, if so great, the dog bone will be within reach. Having it at the main beam is too far away and only good for crew.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.