Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie Getaway  Bottom

• I'm looking at the Getaway for puttering around the lake. I've seen many concerns about cracks surrounding the cross beams and at the wings, and I've seen a couple with cracking that scared me off. Seems it was a temperature while manufacturing issue or mold issue. So, since I'm done repairing boats, are the cracks inevitable with use on these models, or if you find a good used one without cracking, is it unlikely to develop if the boat is a few years old with no cracking yet?
  • Hobie's stance is that they're mostly cosmetic, but they seem pretty significant to me. I think your answer is going ot be a huge "depends", because you're dealing with fracturing/failure of plastic. Unlike most fiberglass, most plastics SEEM to be more sensitive to UV exposure. Add to that how hard the boat is punished and I think you have actually a combination of factors that dictate if/when the plastic cracks. I do not know if it is "inevitable", or whether it has to do more with cyclic loading or age+loading. Seems some people are having some luck with repairing the cracks with G-flex epoxy, I think it is. They can not be welded very successfully though like other plastics.

All that to say - just because it doesn't have cracks YET in no way does it mean you won't get them, nor are you doomed to get them. I've watched them for a few years, and it appears even after getting some cracks they seem to be quite servicable for a while, meaning I'd shop for one, preferably without cracks and buy it with the understanding I may need to do repairs in the future, but definitely don't sweat it.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Thanks, Chuck. I looked at a 2013 the other day with bad cracks and my reaction was "shouldn't Hobie have this figured out by now?" I was hoping it was a glitch that you either had or didn't have. If the cross-member isn't going to loosen or bust out, or a wing collapse, I guess its not structural. Anybody else have experience with a getaway?
    dan
  • Try Hobies forums. There's a whole Getaway forum there.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.