Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 500 rigging  Bottom

• Does anyone have good photos they can share showing how they rig their Nacra 500 jib halyard, jib sheets, and traveler?

If you have videos showing how you do it, even better!

I bought a used Nacra 500 and have found that the Nacra manual, which covers several different models, doesn't do a good job showing how to rig the 500s jib halyard, jib sheets, and traveler. I've been able to find some videos and photos online, but nothing that really clearly shows how to do it correctly.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • According to my owners manual most of the jib halyard is 1/8th in. that you run down inside the zippered luff as you raise the jib. You disconnect it using sister clips from a 2 ft piece of 3/16 th that stays tied to the tack of the jib. Take that piece and pull it real tight through the jam cleat that is part of a special fitting at the apex of the bridle. Not a good system in my opinion, there are much better alternatives if you're not racing.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Sorry, I forgot to mention that as well as that 1/8th piece, the majority of the halyard is wire and you have to stuff it in the zippered luff as well, the short piece of 3/16ths is is tied to a thimble at the end of the wire.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Thanks Bill. Forgive my ignorance, but what are sister clips?

Is this the owners manual that you have? https://www.nacrasailing.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/nacra-500-570-blast-i-17-i-18-f-18-i-20-manuals.pdf
    Or is there a different manual that's specific to the 500?

--
    Pete
    Nacra 500
    Maine, USA
    --
  • Pete, Sister clips are little pieces of hardware used to attach two pieces of line together, faster than tying knots. The manual I had was 2006 and it was generic for several models. You mentioned the traveler for the jib. On the 500 it's on the main beam like a Hobie 16. You can open the slot by moving the jib blocks. The sheeting angle can be adjusted by changing the height of the jib or the 3 holes that are usually in the clew plate.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • ne-sail2 but what are sister clips?

https://www.mauriprosaili…s/product/RON-RF536.html

The clips assemble side ways at 90 degrees to each other, unfortunately I don't find a video anywhere maybe I'll make one when one "when I get time." icon_confused

In the context of this thread you would use them to attach/detach the jib halyard so that it can be remove once hoisted leaving only a pigtail to tension the jib downhaul. The pigtail (perhaps just 18" long) is then cleated off to a clam cleat at the tack of the sail (usually), but some folks (you gotta really want to) run the pigtail (extended) up to the tramp so that the jib downhaul can be dynamically tensioned while on the water.

https://youtu.be/WXJf-FhyG6U

Hope this helps

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Thanks so much for the help. I think I've got it the jib all sorted out now.

That video by Joseph Bennett was quite helpful. I'd watched some of this other videos but hadn't seen that one.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.