Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Single handed cruising  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I would only buy a boat if the seller will rig it with me so i can verify what is missing and see their methods
    preferably to take it for a sail, i won't buy a car without a drive ....

take video of him rigging - trust me you will probably not remember steps 320 - 399

You can camp with a kayak - just depends on your level of comfort needed
    i used to do it on my h18 (sans wings) then my 5.5 (sans & with wings) then my 6.0 (sans & w/wings)

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132504&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=3ae6df73466625c5ee2c981adf0b0f88
    - now i use a 9hp semi v bow (alum boat) for camping.

MUCH safer for life and gear (sailing with a dog, my temp home, all my food, and drink, and ice, and clothing, and water, etc) on a cat is not for the faint of heart when it seems to blow 30 every time it's time to go home

Edited by MN3 on Aug 13, 2021 - 05:08 PM.
    The 5.7 seems like an amazing boat and that's awesome Edchris that you guys are still sailing the magnum comfortably. For my primary purpose of solo camping, does the 5.2 seem adequate? I believe the trampoline is about 6ftx6ft, maybe shorter, but should still be able to sleep sideways on it if I remove the cross bar.

I may go look at the Prindle 18 this weekend, seems like it checks all my boxes. Only thing is the owner isn't a sailor so its hard to confirm all the pieces are there before making the 6 hour drive.

5.7 is the best boat overal - no wings are the real only drawback

i would go P18 over a H18 personally ask for tons of videos

the 5.2 is a small cat so smaller deck (tramp) area so 2 people and gear is already snug plus the dagger boards are a pita
    if you see a prindle 18-2 (with centerboards ) those are good boats too and those boards are at least out of the way vs daggers (they hide in the hull when up and down)
  • I have an N5.7 and an N5.2. Solo sailing I would take the 5.7 all day long. Most forgiving cat I know of. I rarely use my N5.2 anymore. If you get one seal the mast rather than getting a mast float or anything like that. I can right my 5.7 solo pretty easily. But when I put a hobie bob on it I couldn’t anymore, anyone want a hobie mama mast float?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Correction most forging fibreglass performance type cat I know of.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.