Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Single handed cruising  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• First post and new to cats, but I've soloed a couple monohulls before.

I'm looking for a beach cat to sail mostly singlehanded. My main goal is to work my way up to coastal cruising with minimal camping gear, would be nice to be able to bring on up to 4 people. I'd be grateful for any advice on the the various Hobies, Nacras, G Cats, and Prindles for this purpose, but I am limited to craigslist/facebook in the southeast US. To save any responses some typing, my current options are below:

1. The most popular option for this kind of thing seems to be the Hobie 16 and there's a couple solid looking options nearby. Versatile, durable, and parts for it are everywhere. However I was trying to get away from this boat because of its tendency to pitchpole and while I'm sure I can right it with a bag, it would get old if I had to do that more than once a day while cruising.

2. One of my favorites is the Hobie 18 because its ability to point, higher load capacity, and resistance to pitchpoling. I believe I could rig an 8 ft pole to right it. The only option nearby is a 1987 with a 3 inch hull crack, some soft spots, and chipped rudders/daggerboards. It's $2500 with a lot of new gear and the chipped rudders/boards aren't an issue?. I don't believe it would be worth repairing the hulls because this year had problem hulls and I assume similar issues would arise and I need the hulls to be solid for cruising. If there were a better H18 around I might go for it.

3. I've seen some Prindles around, seem comparable to Hobie but harder to find parts and complete sets. There's a Pringle 15 posted for $1500 that just needs its rudders and tramp installed, and a Prindle 18 that looks to be in good shape for $1000.

4. There's a 1980 Nacra 5.2 for $1350 that doesn't seem to have any defects/missing parts except that the mainsail is from 1980. Nacras seem like a great boat with better hulls than the H16. Downside being less part availability, and I've heard they can tend to break apart.

5. There's a 1990 G - Cat not too far away that has a crack in the lower mast and in need of a new shroud. Don't think I'm going to teach myself welding soon unless anyone thinks that's a good idea.

I tend to overthink purchases like this, and its possible that the easiest solution, the hobie 16, is also the best.
    For reference I'm 5'10" and 190lbs. I'm going to be mostly trailering to a boat ramp and rigging and launching alone. Thank you for reading.

--
    Dan in South Georgia
    Sea Sprite 22
    Precision 14
    no Cats yet!
    --
  • Hobie 18 seems to be the boat you need. Durable and can carry a load. Be patient as there are many nice ones that come up for sale. Regardless of which boat you end up with, you will need to determine how to put the mast up and down by self.
  • Thanks for the reply. Patience is good advice icon_lol . I am starting to look more closely at the Prindle 18 however as well as the Nacra 5.2. Both seem manageable for single handing and much more seaworthy than the H16. Maybe both are less durable though. I know the Nacra is a good deal more complicated to rig and sail.

--
    Dan in South Georgia
    Sea Sprite 22
    Precision 14
    no Cats yet!
    --
  • If you are really looking to bring up to 4 people, you might want to look towards a Hobie 21. If sailing alone, by pass the H16 and look for any of the F16 class boats. Before anyone tells you it is too complicated for solo sailing, you can sail main only, main/jib, main/spinnaker or all three. Mast raising and moving the boat around is a one person job the boats are so light. I believe there are a couple still for sale down FL way.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • The most people I've had on the H16 was 3, and it seemed a bit sketchy. You really have to balance out where the people are. That is actually true with just two of us on the boat. Disclaimer, I'm probably the least experienced sailor on the forums. So maybe it is fine.

For soloing the H16 (which we haven't done yet) it seems like a good boat. I imagine when we try that out the performance will be notably better.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • The NACRA 5.2 has an annoying support beam that runs from front cross bar to rear cross bar straight down the center of the tramp. Would be very annoying if trying to take 3-4 people for a leisure sail in my opinion. I am a big NACRA fan and honestly think if you are considering NACRA and new to Cat sailing you may want to consider a 5.7/570 or a 5.0/500. Both are boom less board less rigs and fun to sail. Good Luck!!

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • I am biased towards H18, but it would be a good fit for your needs. No problems cruising with 4 people, but you will want a Big bag to right it solo (works for me). P18 could work as well, along with other suggestions above.

Us having a blast sailing H18s solo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFIKXVL2vdo
  • QuoteI believe I could rig an 8 ft pole to right it.

Forget the pole. I’m only 175lb, (soaking wet), & I solo the H18, N5.7. I like clean sails, so I wash them each year, usually unintentionally!
    My buddy is 190lb, we can both right the Nacras with just a line, if the wind is 20mph. Otherwise I use a Colorado Big Bag. He is taller & heavier, gets away with a small bag.
    The secret is being able to hike out horizontal, & keep a plank position.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 11, 2021 - 07:18 AM.
  • My vote is for the H18. Big and rugged. At that price point, don't settle for one with obvious defects, and for god's sake make sure you get the H17-style rudder castings that became standard equipment on the 18s around '87.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • Interesting points about the 5.2 support beam. Does look annoying, I would have worried about structural integrity but I did find the thread where they discuss removing it if anyone's interested and apparently it is only there to keep the main beam from rotating :
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=forums&func=viewtopic&topic=12097

Seems like all i have to do is add a couple bolts through the "main beam straps" which from photos I believe to be the metal brackets running over the forward beam on either side securing it to the hull. Seems easy and like a good option that would even provide space for Tramp Camping!

I will be sailing mostly in the panhandle and Georgia/Carolina coast. I believe the Prindle 18 is my best boardless option. Large enough for camping/non sailor friends, although I would worry about its pointing ability. If the one posted for $1k indeed has everything I may go for it. I do agree the H18 is optimal if I found one.

--
    Dan in South Georgia
    Sea Sprite 22
    Precision 14
    no Cats yet!
    --
  • I think most have use SS or Monel rivets with the N5.2. You’ll need a heavy duty rivet gun to pull them.
    Lack of pointing with the boardless boats is not an issue.
    Yes, boards are more effective, but for a non racing environment, don’t give it a second thought.
    The secret on our N5.0 & 5.7 is to get weight forward, right up to the front beam if required.
    You want to bury those slab sided bows, half way, or more.
    That provides the lateral resistance, & no you won’t immediately pitchpole. It’s not a H16. The 5.0 will go over, if you really work at it, we’ve only managed it once on the 5.7, & that was a new helmsman who drove it full blast into a deep trough. You will often see the bows submerge til water is shooting off the front beam, & it comes back up.
    Boardless makes for simple, & a bigger open area. Skeg hulls mean less worry if your sailing areas have reefs & shallows.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 11, 2021 - 07:20 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Hobie Getaway!
  • traphappyHobie Getaway!

not a bad choice - checks all your boxes probably better than any other boat mentioned/ is more forgiving than all other boats mentioned too

use it for a while and decide if you need more speed with a bigger fiberglass cat , sell and upgrade
  • MN3
    traphappyHobie Getaway!

not a bad choice - checks all your boxes probably better than any other boat mentioned/ is more forgiving than all other boats mentioned too

use it for a while and decide if you need more speed with a bigger fiberglass cat , sell and upgrade

I would agree with the Getaway as a candidate and second MN3's statement. It has a nice balance of ease of use and load capacity. Pretty quick to rig as well. I went the route of a H21sc and many times wish I had the Getaway for the reasons mentioned.
  • Thank you for all the replies. Getaway seems fun but haven't seen any nearby.

I've narrowed it down to a Prindle 16 in good shape ($1500), prindle 18 that needs all running rigging ($1000) and Nacra 5.2 ($1350). I am currently leaning heavily towards the Nacra mostly because it is in fantastic shape with lots of new gear and it seems like the most boat/speed I could handle solo. Don't know my area well enough to know if boards will be a hindrance. I admit I've never sailed a racing boat or a catamaran for that matter icon_lol so logically the simpler Prindle 18 or even 16 would suit my needs more easily. I'll still give them a fair look, but I don't think I'll be able to pass up all the bells and whistles on the Nacra like roller furling.

Maybe I'm an idiot for wanting to jump to this boat but it seems like by far the best deal. (Another thread touted the importance of Beach Cat Economics?) I believe I'll be able to remove bauberhalls for the first few outings, remove the center beam for passengers, maybe even run jib lines under the trampoline and install sideloaders on the boards to clean it up. The owner sent great videos and seems like he would help show me how to rig it.

Does anyone know the length fore to aft of the trampoline? I'm trying to get a sense of the space on board compared to the Prindles and can't seem to find this length online. I know the width is 72.5'.

--
    Dan in South Georgia
    Sea Sprite 22
    Precision 14
    no Cats yet!
    --
  • Someone in RI just put a 5.7 for sale on this site....go get it. $1400. Much better than a 5.2 for what you are trying to accomplish. You will appreciate a boom less board less rig if you are new to Cat sailing. Roller Furler can be added easily and is suggested for possible solo sailing.

Edited by saltlife77 on Aug 12, 2021 - 06:37 PM.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Sorry, I’m a little late to this thread, but I solo sail a Dart 18 without a jib. It’s easy enough to right by myself, but they are rare, somewhat delicate and the parts can be expensive. There is a pic in my avatar.

Good luck in your search!
    Kevin
  • The Nacra 5.2 is a blast, HOWEVER, it is not a boat for you to put 3-4 people on, with some gear, & camp. The N5.7 above checks all your boxes, & wins, hands down, over every other boat mentioned.
    I’m a senior, over 60 crowd, of all my Cats, the 5.7 is the best recreational boat I’ve ever had. In our younger days, when my lightweight 110lb wife didn’t mind being on the wire for 20 mile legs, it was fantastic. The only reason we sail the H18 Magnum now, she prefers the wings for longer stretches.
    None of the 16’ boats will be fun with 3 adults, or camping gear.
    Kevin, just above...why do you skip the jib on your Dart?
    A Dart jib is a hanky to begin with, there isn’t enough sail to make bikini for a Victoria’s Secret model.
    Unless the wind is 25+, you need all the help you can get. A neighbor, who was a competitive sailor in England has a Dart 18. My N5.7 easily outpaces it. I also have the little brother, a Dart 15, that jib is tiny. Even in 30 mph, I use both sails.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteUnless the wind is 25+, you need all the help you can get. A neighbor, who was a competitive sailor in England has a Dart 18. My N5.7 easily outpaces it. I also have the little brother, a Dart 15, that jib is tiny. Even in 30 mph, I use both sails.

+1 that boat was built for heavy air

Edited by MN3 on Aug 13, 2021 - 09:10 AM.
  • QuoteThe Nacra 5.2 is a blast, HOWEVER, it is not a boat for you to put 3-4 people on, with some gear, & camp. The N5.7 above checks all your boxes, & wins, hands down, over every other boat mentioned.

I just realized that my original post was misleading. I would like to build up to doing a camp/cruise single handed alone/solo with minimal gear. Bringing 3-4 people would ONLY be for a hour or so outing, nothing more.

The 5.7 seems like an amazing boat and that's awesome Edchris that you guys are still sailing the magnum comfortably. For my primary purpose of solo camping, does the 5.2 seem adequate? I believe the trampoline is about 6ftx6ft, maybe shorter, but should still be able to sleep sideways on it if I remove the cross bar.

I may go look at the Prindle 18 this weekend, seems like it checks all my boxes. Only thing is the owner isn't a sailor so its hard to confirm all the pieces are there before making the 6 hour drive. Nacra 5.2 owner however has sent me great videos of all gear. Thank you for your replies! It's encouraging that no one has told me that these boats would be overwhelming for a noob.

--
    Dan in South Georgia
    Sea Sprite 22
    Precision 14
    no Cats yet!
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.