Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spi on Prindle 18-2?  Bottom

• Anybody try it? I've got a yard full of beach cats, and the old 18-2 is still competitive with pretty much anything, but the spinnaker on my Inter 17R is like an afterburner. Any advice on what might work well on the 18-2?

Thanks --

George
  • 18-2 is a basically a mini tornado
    why wouldn't it work?

i have a spin on my mystere 5.5 - not much difference in the boats

you could use a f18 spin without any issues
    or up to tornado / 6.0 spin - that's what i fly
  • Depends on the year of the 18-2.

There were some hull failures on the early boats that had Surfglass adding an additional bulkhead and stringer to the area forward the main beam. I believe this happen in 1987 or earlier, but I may be wrong.

Another issue could be the small rudders on the 18-2. I have seen this done to a Prindle 18-2 and a 19 - both with the bigger rudders.

Have fun

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • QuoteThere were some hull failures on the early boats that had Surfglass adding an additional bulkhead and stringer to the area forward the main beam. I believe this happen in 1987 or earlier, but I may be wrong.

I have seen an 18-2 fail at that point - we assumed it was "Oil Canning" \was not aware it was a known issue

what is surfglass? is it S-glass/ S-2 fiberglass. ?
  • [quote=MN3]

what is surfglass? is it S-glass/ S-2 fiberglass. ?

SurfGlas was Geoff Prindle's original company...

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/uploads/monthly_2021_07/surfglas.JPG.c17425df703293056de87fa2d2f2a6c3.JPG

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/uploads/monthly_2021_07/8b04d168b40744e5954b1bc0e856ad64.thumb.jpg.c0dc84b1be53c332bba0aaec96ac933a.jpg

https://www.catsailor.com/hall_fame/GeoffPrindle.html

Edited by JohnES on Jul 27, 2021 - 03:20 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • interesting
    thanks for the info
  • I think this is a great idea. I would go with any F18 setup. Pretty much same size and you could get into with replacement parts a plenty.

When I did my P19 years ago, I went with the nacra bail uptop. I just couldnt find it, but shouldnt be too difficult to figure out an attachment up top. I didnt have the MX rudder, but just the standard 18-2/19s at the time.

Regarding the hulls, that is an interesting comment by John regarding hull design. I had not heard of it before either good to know.

Jonathan
    Mesa, AZ
    Solcat 18 - gone
    Prindle 16 - gone
    Prindle 19, then with Spin - gone
    Prindle 18-2 - gone
    Nacra 20 - current
    Wanting an F18 with nationals/worlds around the corner...
  • cloudchsrAnybody try it? I've got a yard full of beach cats, and the old 18-2 is still competitive with pretty much anything, but the spinnaker on my Inter 17R is like an afterburner. Any advice on what might work well on the 18-2?

Thanks --

George

I have a brand new F18 spinnaker (Blue) and a mid pole spinnaker pole and a slightly used red F18 spinnaker if you are interested

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.