Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin beachcat friendly lakes  Bottom

• Hey all,
    I've been sailing at Rock Cut State Park in the Rockford, Illinois area. It is great for my little foam boats but is a bit small for the catamaran. I've heard a few Wisconsin lakes mentioned, but when I google them I'm not sure where to launch from. I'd appreciate any intel I can get from the community. Lakes I've been looking at include Delevan, Koshkonong, Geneva, Mendota, Monona, and Waubesa.

Thanks!

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year
    Hobie 16, 1977
    --
  • Come on up to Pewaukee Lake in Wis. It is a bit further North, but is a great sailing lake. The resident powerboats know the rules of the road, and there is almost always a decent breeze from the SW. The best launch is on the very West end, although it can get busy. There is a decent staging area to step the mast and set the boat up prior to launch. There are a couple of bars you can sail to. Just stay in the West "Basin". Going east, it gets shallow with some weeds.
  • Thanks, I'll put that on the list. It's about 1:20 from my house so not too bad. Looks like a $8 fee to launch? So the west launch looks like lakefront part, is that right?

--
    Hobie 16, 1977
    --
  • Another option: https://crawracing.org/schedule/

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • WAIEX; Yes the west launch is almost always "into the wind". good parking and setup/takedown area right at the launch area.
  • Thanks Jeff. I'm not sure we are ready to take on the regatta yet. Would they even let me participate with an aluminum mast?

Raisehull, I had meant to type "Lakefront Park" not part. I couldn't tell where the launch was from the satellite pics but I assume it is there somewhere.

--
    Hobie 16, 1977
    --
  • Bryan- I expect they would be happy to have you join them. Clubs usually have handicap racing that covers various older boats. As well, our group in Michigan has a race in Michigan City in mid-September. You'd be welcome to sail with us as well (or just hang out and check out the scene). https://cramsailing.com/regattas/schedule

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Idon't know how to load imgaes yet. it is the very west end of the lake

Edited by raisehull on Jul 04, 2021 - 06:09 PM.

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.