Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

side stay tension Hobie 16  Bottom

• Shroud tension - how tight should they be? They have to be a little loose for us to be able to connect the forestay. Then when we crank the jib halyard tight, we can still push the mast side to side a little bit. If I move both adjusters 1 hole tighter I can make that go away, but we would need to loosen them up for stepping and dropping the mast. Should I get them as tight as reasonably practical?

I posted this question in my getting started thread but people may be bored of my H16 story. I think we are going to try sailing tomorrow so hope to hear some advice.

I've been searching the forums and on the U tube but have not found the answer I seek.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • On a Hobie 16, the shroud position in the adjuster should have no impact on your ability to pin the forestay. I.e., you should be able to have both shrouds in the bottom hole of the adjusters and still have plenty of looseness in the rig that pinning the forestay isn’t difficult. If that’s not the case, you can switch to a 10 hole adjuster on the bridle connection or add a second adjuster to the bridle so there is more slack in the forestay. The rig should be very loose when only being supported by the forestay.

Once the jib is hoisted, the jib halyard/jib luff wire takes all of the load and the forestay will go slack. The setting of the shroud adjusters sets your mast rake and in general, you want to just pull the jib halyard so the rig is snug. Too tight and the mast won’t rotate easily. Too loose and the mast will bang around in the chop/waves.

sm
  • Thanks - I've added a second adjuster on the bridle like I've seen on Joyrider TV.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=135145&g2_serialNumber=3

I've also moved the shrouds down to the third hole from the bottom. I'm wondering if my mast was binding forward before.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • You have an early H16. I think the rigging is a bit shorter than the newer boats. I have an 82 and on mine I run solo mostly. I run the 3rd hole from the bottom mostly on mine. I know changing the pin position up or down is supposed to help with different wind conditions. Mainly it changes the mast rake and the rig tension. On lighter wind days I sometimes will tighten the rig but mostly I just set them in the 3rd hole and forget it.

There is a document on the hobie web sight (I think that's where it is) About sidestay hole position for different wind speed and crew weight.

Pretty sure it is titled hobie tuning

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.