Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How big of a difference between 8.5 and (approx.) 10 foot beam on a beachcat?  Bottom

• So, you know how, if you have a >8.5 foot wide Beachcat we go to extremes to trailer it? Well, mostly; I white-knuckle full width, but that's a different story... Got me to thinking - the 21 foot Supercat and other 20 foot cats are 8.5 feet wide, so how much of a difference does that REALLY make? On a boat such as mine, the conversion would be really easy, and possibly reversible. Of course, there's a whole hell of a lot of design consideration at the outset around one or the other (I get that).

But, given approximately the same sail area, weight, etc., how much speed/performance do you loose with 1 foot less beam?

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • the wider the beam, the further out your weight can be to counter the force on the sails
    Reduce that distance without reducing the forces on your sails would be "exciting"

e.g.
    Mystere 5.5 and 6.0 are the same boat except the bows are .5meter longer and the mast is 1' taller on the 6.0
    they made an xl version that has 10' beams (either boat). I have sailed many mystere's and can tell you that the wider beams turn the boat into more of a stable cruizing feel vs a very dynamic heel machine

the wider boat loves the big air, but harder to tack in iight air

I think if you used thinner beams your boat would be a much more wild ride in med and heavy air.

New dolphin striker, and standing rigging (at least 5 wires) will be needed.

better off buying a second catamaran ;)

ymmv

Edited by MN3 on May 10, 2021 - 10:47 AM.
  • Ha! Better off buying another anyway, but... Actually, we're talking 1 foot; 6 inches off each side and the way the boat collapses, it doesn't impact the dolphin striker, and I think there's enough adjustment at my chain plate and quick releases I could take up the slack, HOWEVER I'd need to do a new trampoline, Drill a second set of holes in the cross beams, etc. to make up for 6 inches of extra boat on each side of a trailer... Don't think it's worth it. Plus, it's so dang predictable now, I can't see risking that for the minimal pay-off. Maybe if I get grief trailering it or something... But, we're in a regular 10-15 knots quite a bit it seems.

Do I still need a second catamaran??? Hopefully...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Chuck,

Maybe try sailing always sitting on the trampoline. That might be similar to a narrow beam. Then sit with you back against the wings, and that would be like being on the wings with a narrower beam. Not exactly the same, but might give a good estimation. That 21SE has so much sail area an 8.5’ beam would make it more “exciting” in gusts I think. Also the hulls rotate a little when collapsed right? So rudder angle might be altered if you just added extra holes in the crossbar.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Hulls don't rotate appreciably, due to geometry of the sockets and cross beams, but I think it's moot. Pretty much already talked myself out of the experiment.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.