Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.7 sail  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I have been wanting to upgrade the sail on my Nacra 5.7 for some time. I contacted Chip Buck at Whirlwind, and he does not have measurements for the sail. That came as a surprise to me because a couple years ago, I responded to this ad on BeachCats https://www.thebeachcats.…-by-whirlwind-sails.html

After talking to Chip, I learned that sail was actually for a 5.5.
    QuoteI remember that sail. It’s a membrane sail where the membrane panels were produced for me by Dimension Polyant and I assembled them. It must be ten years old. I will look for that design, it had a different file name.

QuoteDigging through my emails from 2010 I came across that it is for a 5.5 and not a 5.7. Here are the dimensions I took a snapshot of... Luff 8126 mm, Foot 2284 mm, Head 835 mm, Head angle 94 degrees.

I want to replace a sail on my 85 N-5.7 and don't know the measurements, and my sails are in a frozen shed on Pymatuning Lake. If you know the measurements, let me know. I assume that will also answer if the 11-year old sails on the listings will work. The last question is, should I even consider 11-year old membrane sails?

Edited by tominpa on Feb 12, 2021 - 10:07 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Tom, I almost bought that sail! I’ve got a 5.7 as you may recall. I was going to buy it for my Supercat 17 knowing I could use it as a backup for the Nacra if it didn’t work out. We almost had all the details done but couldn’t settle on shipping. Glad it didn’t work out!

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Good to hear from you again Tim! The decals we bought and I used in my renovation were outstanding additions and got a lot of compliments.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • That’s great Tom, glad it worked out. I think I still have a set. My boat got painted ice blue after getting hit by a mower. Not sure if the different blues would look good together.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • The black outline makes all things possible.

https://i.imgur.com/WfwmFmAh.jpg

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Looks great Tom

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I’m pretty sure Dave Bonim used Chip for a 5.7 sail. Try PM , search him out. He’s near Winnipeg, & had it shipped.
    IIRC he had a square top built.

Edited by Edchris177 on Feb 13, 2021 - 02:39 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • i DO HAVE Nacra 5.7 MAIN & JIB FOR SALE ON THIS SITE, still crispy, could text or email close up photos but main/jib shown on for sale sails, original used sails number on sail shown in photo, jib has new zipper(cat lost to N'or Easter approx in 2017) sails used as back ups for N570
  • nofear, how does the sail size compare to the 570? Your Skip Elliot sails are of the same vintage as mine, and I would suggest they are in comparable condition (see my avatar). My sails were cleaned by Sail-Care, new bolt rope and zipper in the jib, and look and feel great with no tape or repairs, but I know the shape is not what they were 35 years ago.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I bet the sail in question would still work ok on a 5.7. I think I recall measuring my SC17 sails and the dimensions were very close. The photos show it on a SC 19. The 5.7 mast is nine inches longer so it should fit at least. How well it works...no way to know except try. I figured I’d rather bet on a new one made specifically for my boat when the time comes. And I sold the SC anyway.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Square top N570 is visibly smaller - both main & jib , N570 jib at least 25% smaller! So N5.7 jib a good option on a lo/no wind day, also 5.7 main was a better option on low wind conditions- yes I'm sure n5.7 lost some shape especially aloft Nere top of main and jib , But we usually have very good wind on south shore of lLong / Fire Island over 15-18ks every day, A M winds lower so we are still moving. About N570 original Mylar sails- they deteriorated in 3 seasons and we purchased Dacron jib and main, I had same issue with a N5.5 main that my sailmaker replaced Mylar panels with Dacron!
  • I am sure many of us have methods to store our sails- I have a dozen sails stored on Fire Island indoors in winter in a dry location most in sail bags/ but I unroll them in Spring and several times over the summer into the fall ,checking the battens left in the sails, I only wash in soft water and always wash them off if sailed in salt water, for a nasty stain I have used boat soap, I hav a great sailmaker so I only do an emergency repair to keep sailing but otherwise leave sail off at Sailors Choice aAmitynille N.Y? ( Nere Amityville Horror house) Sails in Fort Lauderdale always left indoors rolled up and when I arrive in Fla I unroll on condo tile floors and make my wife crazy but the sails are in good shape, I have original hobie 16 Mccibben sails from 1971 and they are in good shape as are hobie 16 sails made in approX 1989. I have 4 sets of Dart 18 sails , 2 sets in Fla& 2 for Great South Bay,I alternate use , so all are very crispy and taut. 2 of my sailing mates
    Malcolm Stitt (2 Tornados)!&'Joe P(n570) have heavy duty sewing machines and Malcolm just made up a set
    of sails for his son Tims N5.0, they also repair/modify their tramps, and Malcolm made sails for his ice boats
  • Stewart, lmk when you’re ready to ship that 5.7 main to Kansas ;)
  • ToJD911 i go to Fire Isle where Nacra sails are stored Approx 2nd w eekend of April , send your address to my email i will attempt to mail from there to you
  • I communicated with Skip Elliot who made our original sails, and he sent me the current price list. My motivation for a new sail has had a bucket of cold water dumped on it.

QuoteMainsail: Nacra 5.7 Class Sail or Sq.Top with the same sail area as Class Mainsail

Radial Cut Polyester Clear Mylar Mainsail $ 1757.00
    Radial Cut Polyester Black Mylar Mainsail $ 1798.00
    Radial Cut Pentex Polyester Mylar Mainsail $ 1898.00
    Cross Cut Dacron White Mainsail $ 1625.00
    Cross Cut Dacron Color Mainsail $ 1753.00
    Mainsail—Comes with 5 Hole Clew Board—Class Insignia—Sail Numbers—Tell Tale—Roll Sail Bag
    Extra—Set of RBS all Glass Taper Battens $ 385.00

Class Jib:

Radial Cut Dacron Jib $ 595.00
    Radial Cut Dacron Color Jib $ 647.00
    Radial Cut Mylar Jib $ 615.00

Jib—Come with Zipper Luff—Standard Battens—that can be Set Up for Roller Furling—Tell Tale—Roll Sail Bag

Deliver 4 to 5 Weeks from Date of 50% Deposit with Balance Due at Completion Plus Shipping Cost

So the pirce of entry is pretty high, and considering w hat you just said about Mylar longevity, the best option for me looks to be full cleaning and resin treatment of my sails at Sail Care. They are nearby, so no shipping and the sails would be crisp and like new.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Joe P ordered dacron plain white N570 sails from Cali sailmaker 3yrs ago & main was approx $650 plus shipping & tax BUT he believes someone had just cancelled order for same sail and he lucked out on price
  • Tom, I’ll measure my 5.7 sail this weekend, and post measurements.
  • Thanks Jd. I just can't get to mine.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Thats pretty close to what I paid for mine. Black Pentex square top, crosscut Dacron roller furling jib. Mine came from our local sailmaker in NW Fl. Close to same price from the California company that’s advertises here.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=134419

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.