Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Americas Cup  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• tominpaI'll follow as best we can here in the U.S. where the only sports event seems to be the Super Bowl.

Youtube.

sm
  • Well from what I have read, American Magic is done. ☹

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • martyrWell from what I have read, American Magic is done. ☹

Yes they are out.

American Magic out of the America's Cup as Luna Rossa wins

they lost a must win race
    they did not win the start and were behind 100 meters pretty early

i think it was about 1/4 of the way through the race when they lost the ability to use a dagger (articulating foil) -

that was the dirt on top of the coffin (the nail in the coffin was when they lost the start and were behind a 100m.) they would have needed the Italians to demast, explode or sink to have any chance

not 100% sure of the rules but they were awarded a penalty shortly after the foil wouldn't respond the first time (either for going out of bounds or having both foils down ... really not sure, i had zoned out by then) they regained the use of the foil but it quickly failed again and they got a second penalty

Commentators said a few interesting things. 1 - this boat was under water a few days ago - the fact they even came back was amazing. 2 while making the repairs the other teams increased speed by 10%.

Let's not forget that Luna Rossa's captin is James Spithill who has been in 4 other AC's and won 3 (if i recall correctly)

next up: Prada Cup final against INEOS Team UK vs Italia's Luna Rossa - winner goes to the AC against NZ

Edited by MN3 on Jan 30, 2021 - 11:20 AM.
  • O K call me silly jealous and not knowlegable vis a vis these high tech flying machines/ technical failures exonerate skipper but read the wind/ i remember article in the hobie magazine just after Ted Turner after won Americas Cup, he buys a hobie 16 and attempts to race and finishes last! But im sure he read the wind
  • To be totally dependent on electromechanical systems to operate the boat but not have those systems able to withstand total immersion seems like a basic design flaw.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • There was little or no wind, races were shortened to account for low wind conditions, larger sails were available . Ted Turner after winning the Americas Cup bought a Hobie 16 and practiced and entered a regatta, but finished last. Perhaps Ted should have read the monthly Hobie magazine(no internet then), or read a few books written by cat sailors? I always check the 3 wind apps on my iphone when I rig and my weather sites BEFORE i go to my cat for safety and to determine what sails I will utilize. In Dart 18 discussions on this site I bring up the small size of Dart 18 sails and that I run up a Prindle 16 or Hobie 16 jib on low wind days. THE NEW YORK YAUGHT CLUB WOULD NEVER visit this site but they should for a myriad of reasons, but a little humor is OK
  • Total immersion seems like a basic design flaw.
  • jack108136Total immersion seems like a basic design flaw.

More of an operational flaw.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I think all teams that don't make it to the AC final should have a crash up derby
  • As of now 3/12/21 the races are tied at 3 apiece. NZ seems to be a little faster than the Italians, but it really all comes down to the prestarts. It appears that whoever wins the start will, more than likely, win the overall race.

--
    Marty
    --
  • No races today due to light winds. They will try again tomorrow which will be Monday in New Zealand.

--
    Marty
    --
  • I was wondering why I couldn't find anything.
  • Congratulations to Team New Zealand and Te Rehutai for defending/winning the America's Cup!!!

--
    Marty
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.