Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Bryan's Supercat 17 rebirth in Poplar Grove, Illinois  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• waiex191I think this damage was from a tree falling on the cat during a Florida hurricane.

possible - i was thinking a mast falling on it during step (supercat mast / tree - same difference) but i didn't see the dent in the tramp track you mentioned. I would "THINK" it would be more obvious
  • At the very least you will want to seal the Crack so water won't get in the foam laminate, if SCs even use foam cores... No matter, it's good to keep water out so you don't get blistering, etc.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • charlescarlisAt the very least you will want to seal the Crack so water won't get in the foam laminate, if SCs even use foam cores... No matter, it's good to keep water out so you don't get blistering, etc.

Good call

and re: the ports - i forgot some have the ports on the transom
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ms/viewtopic/topic/14759
  • Thanks all. I had a talk with Rod and he did confirm the damage was from a tree falling on it during a hurricane back when co-worker Mike owned it. There was also a small hole punched in the hull that Rod already fixed. I think I'll likely seal the crack and sail it for a season, then decide if I want to go crazy on the project or not.

My personal history probably forebodes the crazy path.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • I would be concerned about the crack below the tramp line since it would not very easily visible at all times; 'out of sight = out of mind'.. Something could develop when you are out on the water and you would be none the wiser..

I beleive the hulls used a 5/16" or 3/8" divinycell/klegecell core... Looks like yours broke in 2 approx horizontal lines top & bottom.. Are both cracks on the inside part of the hull above and below the tramp line? Not sure I'd use a permant 'access port'.. Mine has a couple of ~5 to 6" diameter circular(ish) 'cut/patched' holes near the stern on the sides where interior patch work may have been done on the stern / rudder attachments..
    Since there are now 'kinks' in an otherwise relatively smoth curve, they will be very succecptable to bending prematurely.. i.e. Reinforce very liberally.. Also use layers of 45 degree cut bias cloth to get reinforcing in many directions (not just 'up/down-left/right').. I would use at least 32 ounces if not way more, and also lap them at least 6" on all sides abve/below/front/aft of the damaged areas. Definitely will be a pain in the ass to repair.. Easier if the hulls are 'off' and the repair areas down lying flat where gravity keeps the patches in place.. Also tape the edges of the cut access hole when you are doing the repair or you will cut your arms on the glass edges..

There are no flat parts on supercat hulls to mount a permanent access port. Also the flattest part seems to be where you need to do thee repairs - and they are in the 'very wet' zone....

Is that aluminum section full length or just at the end? Definitely want to get rid of it if it's full length ... Need to get that 'foil' shape with a tapered batten - even if you get a shorter one and add a stiff outer end to it..

Repairing the batten ends with resin / cloth is the easiest/best IMO. Remember the keep the battens super smooth with so rough spots or 'snags'. Battens constantly rubbing the sail will wear/tear them easily.. That being said the old dacron sails are great/bomb proof as far as durability goes compared to 'new tech' - mylar etc..

The big aluminum semicircular chunk is just an oversized washer to distribute the concentrated loads at the thru bolt to the crossarms ends.. The weakest part of the connection is probably embeded in the hulls.. I would not be too concerned - it appears to be just surface corrosion... If you can get them out clean the off and use silicone or similar caulk like someone suggested.. I would not use a glue or epoxy in cast it needs to be removed later..

I have a true SC17 beach cat (from Deerfield, FL) and my mast is corroded (holes) on one side. Considered reinforcing it with carbon fiber/epoxybut just continuing to use as is.. I had it on Lake MI & have got 8 years out of it - even got a SC19 sail that I had a friend modify for soloing on light air days..

I need to reattach my mast base - had an 'accident' when lowering last season on my own - it dropped & twisted... Lucky the mast appears to be relatively OK - the end fell into the lake... Will now have a ~1" shorter mast and a slightly wallowed out base step aluminum casting..

Need to come up with a better way of raising/lowering the mast solo.. Pain in the ass - and scary!

Anyone out there with details of how to build an easy solo DIY gin pole assembly? without a trailer?

Good Luck with your 'project'..
  • QuoteIs that aluminum section full length or just at the end? Definitely want to get rid of it if it's full length ... Need to get that 'foil' shape with a tapered batten - even if you get a shorter one and add a stiff outer end to it..

The boom batten is full length. What is it supposed to be? I think somebody else said it was all aluminum.

Thanks for the post! Good info. Welcome to the forums.

--
    --
  • If you haven't, contact Aquarius about the hull repair. Tom And Matt were most helpful in advising me how fix my hull.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • The bottom batten on my SC15 is the length of the foot. It's an Aquarius stock part.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • Thats what I recall and think that special bottom batten was a later thought of extra. Neither my 19 or 17 had one.
    Bryan if you get desperate I believe I have some tubular battens..am/was holding on for emergency. Current sail uses newer style.
  • Hey great to see another cat sailor in the neighborhood. love to sail with you sometime. usually sail koshkonong. most times there are 2 to 3 of us sailing.
  • Surfsail, Aquarius has a gin pole option for their Arc 17. When lowering the mast an important step is to stop the mast from rotating until it's about halfway down. I wrap the main halyard around the bottom of the mast in both directions so I can keep it rotated properly. You do use the trap wires to stop the sway, right?
    https://www.aquarius-sail…rans/gin_pole/index.html

Edited by gahamby on May 07, 2021 - 08:46 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • bartsh16Hey great to see another cat sailor in the neighborhood. love to sail with you sometime. usually sail koshkonong. most times there are 2 to 3 of us sailing.

Looks like that is 45 minutes from me - definitely in the neighborhood. We have a ways to go before our supercat is seaworthy again but we are looking for places to sail, so that sounds great!

So far all the sailing we have done has been at Rock Cut State Park in Illinois. Close but small. Good for the foam boats. We will likely start there but will outgrow it quickly. There is a hobie 16 and an 18 that sails there on a semi-regular basis.

Edited by waiex191 on May 07, 2021 - 08:41 PM.

--
    --
  • I got a huge break on my project - the title was located and I now have it in my possession. Had to go back 3 owners, all former co-workers. Of course now we have the Hobie 16 as well... I think that boat needs less work and we are in the thick of it.

--
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.