Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 Group Sails to Catalina Island  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Quote But years ago, I started going with a dry suit. Way warmer.

and comfortable

NOTHING like having dry feet and crotch for a long cruise

I strongly recommend going with gore-tex as well since it is much more breathable than other materials
  • MN3i never wear wetsuits - is this accurate that you cant "sink" in a 7mm?

Not only do you float like a rubber duck... but as soon as you relax in it, the suit throws you into anatomical position with your arms straight out to the sides and your torso straight. Using rental wet suits like this early in my ocean sailing is what gave me the incentive to buy dry suits.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • mattsonHere's a trip we did on my H18 back in '09. Check out the rocks in some of the photos. We used ABS pipe for skids, but you can't keep the boat on them during the entire landing/launching processes.

http://www.catsail.com/cinp/trip0609/sci0609.html

Absolutely excellent cat-sailing trip and story. What a destination, and the accompanying pictures really made it. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it very much.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • mattsonHere's a trip we did on my H18 back in '09. Check out the rocks in some of the photos. We used ABS pipe for skids, but you can't keep the boat on them during the entire landing/launching processes.

Wow WOw WOW!!!
    great write up and boy do i never want to do any of that!!!!

and do I ever (more) appreciate our spoil islands .5 miles off the jet ski beach (maybe 1.5 miles from the catamaran beach)

Funny, as you mentioned the abs skids i was thinking "wonder if he sailed with Hobie Gary" :) (forgive me if you answered that before - i have the memory of a gold fish these days, 1 lap around the tank and it all looks new to me)

I have to hand it to you cali sailors - cold shark infested waters, big wind and big tide ... i will stick with my protected bay's and 1 mile peeks into the gulf. I gave up blue water sailing after "sailing" on steel ships.
  • CatFan57
    mattsonHere's a trip we did on my H18 back in '09. Check out the rocks in some of the photos. We used ABS pipe for skids, but you can't keep the boat on them during the entire landing/launching processes.

Absolutely excellent cat-sailing trip and story. What a destination, and the accompanying pictures really made it. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks for the thanks. Those trips and articles took a bit of work. The rest of the documented trips are here:

http://www.catsail.com/cinp/

Some crazy stuff in some of those.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • MN3
    mattsonHere's a trip we did on my H18 back in '09. Check out the rocks in some of the photos. We used ABS pipe for skids, but you can't keep the boat on them during the entire landing/launching processes.

Wow WOw WOW!!!
    great write up and boy do i never want to do any of that!!!!

and do I ever (more) appreciate our spoil islands .5 miles off the jet ski beach (maybe 1.5 miles from the catamaran beach)

Funny, as you mentioned the abs skids i was thinking "wonder if he sailed with Hobie Gary" :) (forgive me if you answered that before - i have the memory of a gold fish these days, 1 lap around the tank and it all looks new to me)

I have to hand it to you cali sailors - cold shark infested waters, big wind and big tide ... i will stick with my protected bay's and 1 mile peeks into the gulf. I gave up blue water sailing after "sailing" on steel ships.

The ABS skids were an accidental discovery. The strategy prior to them were rollers made of ABS pipes with inflatable fenders on each end. Most easily described as a giant cue tip. Twp strapped to the front crossbar. These worked relatively well on smooth sand. But on rocks, they would not move, and we would be struggling to push the boat over rubber. At one point, the boat dislodged off the roller with one hull on the rocks, and one skidding freely over the abs pipe. That's when the light bulb went on regarding "skids". 2 foot sections of ABS pipe that fit inside the deck ports. I use four of them, moving the aft ones forward as the boat progresses up the beach.

There is a segment of my son and I using them in the video below. One caveat here is that, in the video, I mention 10 ft waves. The waves reported on weather buoys were 8 ft. I can tell you that photos and videos absolutely flatten sea conditions. Another caveat is that the decision to leave the beach in the conditions was prompted the the fact that we had run out of water. And one factor that led to sailing under jib alone was the excess weight of gear on the boat. As stated earlier, these are not performance trips. And capsizing during them is a whole new animal than the typical dunking.

https://youtu.be/c9t6YOx4cX8

By the way, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Just trying to provide some insight on what is involved in the crossings. One element I forgot to comment is the mention of doing a trip with another boat. We've done it, and I'm not sold on the idea. You are only going to be as good as the weakest link. And if things really go south, another beach cat is going to be in just as much in a survival mode as you. And it also introduces the situation of compromising your own safety by attempting to assist. We did have a situation once where we were considered overdue by another boat that was safely on shore and not able to contact us. (I don't recall why as we had radios.) But I do recall the other boat preparing to leave to find us when we eventually showed up. They were otherwise, safely on shore at the island at dusk, but were considering leaving the beach.

Yes... I sailed with Gary for years doing those trips. Some are detailed in the links I posted. However, the research, preparation, and frequency of the trips became an absolute obsession, the negative consequences of which I don't want to get into. Still, outrageously fun times. Like everything else, best done in moderation.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • mattsonThose trips and articles took a bit of work. The rest of the documented trips are here:

http://www.catsail.com/cinp/

Some crazy stuff in some of those.

Okay thanks, I will definitely check them out, and looking forward to it.

Edited by CatFan57 on Jan 12, 2021 - 06:37 PM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • mattsonBtw, we had one of the guys in our local group go overboard solo and was dragged by a tether. He was out by himself with no other boats and could not get back on the boat (long story with a spinnaker involved). It kept him with the boat and he was dragged 5 miles for over an hour until his boat hit a beach.

I'd say in your neck of the woods, that'd be called "trolling for great whites." icon_biggrin Glad he didn't "catch" anything.

Btw, why couldn't he pull himself back to the boat via hand over hand on the tether even though the boat was still moving (5mph or under, apparently)? Tether diameter too small to get a good grip? Just too much water force, or combo of the two?

I noticed that on your tether you used a very thick, braided section of line for the part attached to you. I'm assuming maybe that's to be able to get a good grip.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • speaking for myself

after a capsize and righting. my jib was not furled and filled with air and the boat took off while i was still in the water.

while holding my main in the water (it was wrapped around several things that prevented it from sheeting in) and being pulled/ sailed at what felt like 100knots (probably 5 or 6) -heading right for a marker, it took most of my energy to pull myself the 10' - 15' up to the boat. then getting on the boat spent just about the rest of my energy. If i failed getting on the first or second attempt, i doubt i would have the energy to do it at all. (think getting on a boat after a capsize is hard, try it while underway)

I was soooooooo spent after that i sailed home with slack in my mainsheet as i was so tired and demoralized i was unable to sail properly - and it got MUCH worse. my spin pole would dig into a wave, bend down a little, full my hoop with water and then spring the water up in the air - which then poured down on me - for about an hour (was a 20-30 min sail for everyone else i was with that day)

the action of the boat, the constant pissing on from the spin and the friction of my pfd proved to have pretty serious and long lasting medical ramifications - without getting into too much detail - i suffered from some serious chafe and rash in a unexpected spot that did not heal very quickly (you may see distance runners putting tape on these body parts for the same reason)

i quit sailing that day
    fortunately i am a terrible at quitting
  • Really enjoyed the adventures to the Channel Islands. Wish I could share a couple trips I had on Lake Erie from Sandusky to Put-In-Bay and back with heavy 30 knot winds and short interval breakers coming over the boat. Warm, fresh water, but definitely on the edge of disaster, with two other boats that left the island with us being de-masted, and no ability to turn back in that wind. Ahhh, memories. You were much better prepared.

What sails are you running on the H-18?

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpaReally enjoyed the adventures to the Channel Islands. Wish I could share a couple trips I had on Lake Erie from Sandusky to Put-In-Bay and back with heavy 30 knot winds and short interval breakers coming over the boat. Warm, fresh water, but definitely on the edge of disaster, with two other boats that left the island with us being de-masted, and no ability to turn back in that wind. Ahhh, memories. You were much better prepared.

What sails are you running on the H-18?

On one of those trips "The North Shore Cruise" we were caught in a gale, with the NOAA West SB Buoy recording winds gusting to 44 kts. We were in probably closer to 30 knots in steep waves and swell. And I agree, that can be very dicey. The description of how we handled it, with a broken rudder, is in the story. I think I swore off the trips during that experience, and (like MN3) may have quit sailing altogether. It just seems like after it's all over your brain sorta thinks, "I guess it was not that bad."

Sails are Super R Laminate from Whirlwind in San Diego.

http://www.whirlwindsails…p20/H18_SuperR_Main.html

I sold the boat to a new sailor who bought it with the stock sails. I still have the Super Rs. Had them on eBay for a while but now think I may keep them if I get another H18.

All plans tempered by the idea I am getting too old for this stuff.

Edited by mattson on Jan 12, 2021 - 08:22 PM.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • mattsonSo how come I didn't know about these group?

https://youtu.be/aHGpqSo5HeI

Are any of you guys on this forum?Edited by mattson on Jan 05, 2021 - 03:38 AM.

Wow that's great, those are your people for sure. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if your stories about beachcat sailing to the islands inspired their trips.

Watching that, all I could think about was what you and the "nine finger wonder boy" could have done with today's camera's and access to YouTube.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Kevin219The topic of this crossing comes up annually on this forum, and it's always made out to be some treacherous crossing. I've never sailed in the pacific, though I have departed on a cruise ship out of long beach. It was foggy as I recall. Are there any other inherit dangers to this crossing? Pardon my ignorance, but at 18nm it seems like an easy 1.5 hour day sail...

The Pacific is it's own thing for small boats, VERY COLD water all year 'round, BIG SHIPS, FOG, and SUDDEN DARKNESS. (Did I miss anything Bill?)

Just looking at a map doesn't do it justice, Sailing to an island the same distance but in the Gulf of Mexico is a whole 'nother thing. icon_biggrin

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.