Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

3D printed parts  Bottom

• Thought I would start a thread to see if anybody is printing parts for their boat. I printed some jib clips for a buddy of mine who has a Capri 14.2. His old ones were worn out, so they would fall off the forestay as he was trying to snap them on. The clip screws onto the jib and clamps the bolt rope. To get it on the forestay you twist the clip 90 degrees, pop it on the stay, then rotate it back.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134066&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134067&g2_serialNumber=3

My $100 Snark came with a door hinge for the plywood rudder. I am not going to buy $300 worth of parts to put it back, so I printed this gudgeon for about $8 worth of filament. I'll be making a new rudder, rudder bracket, and tiller as well.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134059&g2_serialNumber=4

My buddy with the Supercat 17 says he had been having a hard time finding batten holders, and thought that was a good candidate for printed parts.

I designed all this stuff in Freecad and printed it on a Flashforge Finder printer.

Edited by waiex191 on Nov 17, 2020 - 03:36 PM.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Future Supercat 17 owner
    Currently own two foam monohulls
    --
  • what material?
  • It's PLA. For the machine we have, that's the only option.

--
    Future Supercat 17 owner
    --
  • PLA is very unlikely the only option for that machine. You should be able to print in ABS, in which ASA is an option, and the best choice for boat parts or anything that lives outside as it is UV stabilized.
  • waiex191Thought I would start a thread to see if anybody is printing parts for their boat...

That's very cool Bryan! Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Anyone else doing boat parts this way?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures I…he Forums in the forums.
    --
  • samc99usPLA is very unlikely the only option for that machine. You should be able to print in ABS, in which ASA is an option, and the best choice for boat parts or anything that lives outside as it is UV stabilized.

Both of my kids have a Flashforge Finder. It doesn't have a heated bed. My neighbor has an Ender which has a heated bed and prints ABS. I'm still new to this. At work we either have people who run the machines or for metal 3D printing we go out to vendors.

Good to know about UV. My boats live inside when I'm not using them.

--
    Future Supercat 17 owner
    --

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.

Upcoming Beachcats Events

VIEW FULL CALENDAR

No upcoming events.