Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

lateral support for stepping the mast  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I made a video of the whole set up process this time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By4RZe84RWs
    (Then dismasted... icon_confused I'm glad I could sail in between, it wasn't the first launch of the day icon_smile )
  • I am using eye nuts on the top of the beam attached to the outside beam bolt assembly. The Prindles use a 3/8" bolt vertically to attach the beam to the boat. I replaced the outside bolt with all-thread and threaded a 3/8" eye nut. This is primarily used as the barberhauler turning point, but while raising the mast, I take a quick link to the trap dog bone to the eye. Snug the tension and it keeps the mast centered while raising or lowering. This winter I will finish the jin pole part as raising the mast my hand has not been kind on my shoulder. I had designed one years ago for a customer that was self-adjusting and self-centering and hope to be able to duplicate something for the cat.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • AndinistaI made a video of the whole set up process this time.
    (Then dismasted... icon_confused I'm glad I could sail in between, it wasn't the first launch of the day icon_smile )

WOW
    you are using every trick in the book:
    guy lines
    block to trailer
    transom wheels to assist moving off trailer and to the water
    and i THINK the fence to hold the mast during pinning - no need for your tripod
    Like a PRO !!!
  • AndinistaI made a video of the whole set up process this time.

Very helpful video. Thanks. When lowering the mast do you use the same process? What do you do to keep the mast rotated while going down?
  • Here's a video of me raising the 36' Bimare HT18 mast solo with a gin pole I made and lateral supports and my main blocks. I followed what I had learned from my Farriers. Note YouTube has decreased the resolution considerably since I made/posted the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4cLtC26aRM

Lowering the mast is done in reverse.
  • I'm such a weakling. My mast is only 32' and 35# but I can't raise it by myself. Fortunately, there is always somebody on the beach that is willing to lend a hand.

You all have inspired me though to try out some of your ideas.
  • mmmerlin
    AndinistaI made a video of the whole set up process this time.

Very helpful video. Thanks. When lowering the mast do you use the same process? What do you do to keep the mast rotated while going down?

Yes, the same process. The red straps get looser as the mast goes up, like 1 inch or so in total, so I set them with that slack before lowering. I am able to cleat and uncleat the sheet from the tramp, it's important to check that with a different geometry. Once I uncleat it I don't cleat it again (unless I want to). Once I remove the forestay pin, I'm carfeul not to uncleat the line by accident as I move around and walk towards the tramp.
    I just rotate the mast with my other hand, that's not a problem. No need to rotate it from the begining, just at the last part.
  • It's actually the mast base that keeps the mast rotated (for this type of mast step), when raising there's nothing to do about it, at 4:19 of the video you can see how it rotates because the rod comes out of the mast base notch. I wasn't forcing or releasing mast rotation at any point. When lowering you have to manually rotate the mast to guide the rod into the notch, that is on a short part of the movement and it´s quite easy to do. If you would want to raise or lower the mast from the ground instead of the tramp, then yes, you would need to lock the mast at 90°. That would involve more complexity, but not just that, you would need a better angle of the line when the mast is down, that's what the gin pole is for. In my case on the first part of the raising I don't use the line to pull the mast up, only the other hand and then pull and cleat the line to secure at the new position. At one point I stopped holding the mast with my hand to deal with the tangling with a bungee, at that point the tension of the line was pretty high, I felt a bit nervous about it. As the angle between the pulling line and the mast decreases, the tension increases, that goes up to infinity with a 0 angle.

Edited by Andinista on Sep 08, 2023 - 10:09 AM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.