Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How to get the boat in/out of water single handedly?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Quotemain centered and sheeted

Quotei don't like to attach anchors to my bow tangs/bridals because: at anchor, waves and wind will be addingforces against the attachments that were built for stresses from the verticals and not horizontal forces (esp cyclical waves)

You really meant unsheeted, right? Good point on the tangs. If you had an older boat with rails it would be easy to fashion something really solid. If you're new to this be sure and use stretchy line like 1/4 3 strand nylon to absorb shock and help the anchor stay set. Presumably you'll be using a relatively small anchor and you'll be in shallow water, push the flukes in with your foot or hands especially if the bottom is grassy or shelly. If your marine forecast says your boat is going to be rockin' and rollen' hard all night, get it out! Don't underestimate chafe. And one more thing, if you have to leave it in choppy conditions, tie the mast so it won't rotate wildly for hours on end. No sense in having all that extra wear and tear on your mast bearing.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
    You really meant unsheeted, right?

absolutely not.
    an unsheeted main can pay out all the line and you have a swinging main and the boat will heat up and start to dance around the moor /anchor

if you don't sheet your main (i don't mean kill it), your boat won't weather bane around. this will create all sorts of issues

the only time to remove the main blocks from the boom is while parked on land - bows into the wind so the mast and main can swing 180* without issues. if you have a complete wind shift you will need to remove the main or turn to boat
    You really meant unsheeted, right?

absolutely not.
    an unsheeted main can pay out all the line and you have a swinging main and the boat will heat up and start to dance around the moor /anchor

if you don't sheet your main (i don't mean kill it), your boat won't weather bane around. this will create all sorts of issues

the only time to remove the main blocks from the boom is while parked on land - bows into the wind so the mast and main can swing 180* without issues. if you have a complete wind shift you will need to remove the main or turn to boat
  • Quoteabsolutely not.

Interesting. I'll try it next time I go to the sand bare for swimming where I only bow anchor. I always unhooked the main from the clew for the very reason you stated, all the line being payed out. I always double anchored when setting up so the boat would behave.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • klozhaldDamon you are an animal to be able to launch your H18 single-handed.
    Sure, you are smart about the process and mechanics of getting it done, but pulling that 18 up on the sand, or on the trailer is a HeMan feat.

MN3
    it's all about leverage and weight placement ...
    and he has that :)

klozhaldDamon is the Grizzly Adams of the Beachcat Clan.
    I have a visual of him throwing his mast into place with one hand while snarling at the breakers he's about to cleave when he sails into the sunset.

You guys are hilarious...

For those that don't know me, I am definitely much bigger than your average beachcat sailor, but not particularly strong, I spend my day in front of a computer monitor. I'm also past 60, so there is that.

The real message in my instructions was to find a way to use the tools, customized to your particular launch situation, to get the job done without damaging yourself or your boat.

Lots of good info from experienced sailors in this thread.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quote You guys are hilarious...

victory prost victory
  • DamonLinkousYou guys are hilarious...

Aw, shucks.
    #diggingtoeindirt

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.