Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Researching First Boat  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I don't think I missed your point but you may have missed mine ... a joke, apparently a poor one at that. I had hoped the emojis would have drove home that point home ... strike two.

In an earlier post, I did make a pitch for an F16. In light of your point, I wanted to relay my experience that although the boat is sloop rigged, I regularly sail the boat main only and do not have any difficulty with tacking the boat.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • klozhald
    Damon's point is that it is harder and much more frustrating to try learn how to sail a cat without the jib. To start out without a jib is to make it more difficult to control, akin to not using one of the rudders or centerboards to "simplify" things.

There isn't a good reason to sail a sloop rigged cat without a jib. (Roller furling is another topic altogether, expensive but fantastic.)

Ah, I get what you're saying now. I was thinking that it would make it harder to learn to sail as opposed to not using it, but once you learn to use it, it will make sailing easier. But I get it now. Easier all the way around (not impossible, but easier), at least if it's meant to be used with one.

--
    No boat... yet
    --
  • Quote In an earlier post, I did make a pitch for an F16. In light of your point, I wanted to relay my experience that although the boat is sloop rigged, I regularly sail the boat main only and do not have any difficulty with tacking the boat.

f-16 design allows for solo person sans jib and used to be part of the class racing rules (i have no idea of what they are currently) -it's by design. i think it has to do with the front beam moved forward.

Edited by MN3 on Sep 27, 2020 - 01:28 PM.
  • The F16 marketing literature is wrought with references to one up sailing. I have, however, not seen a design brief or discussion thereof that specifically points to a design aspect specific to one up sailing associated with the F16 box rule. If you have a reference you can point me to I would like to read it.

Interestingly, one of the 'G' sailmakers (now forget which) recommended a different sized main depending if you were one up or two.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.