Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Swivel cam cleat for Traveler  Bottom

• Looking to replace original Swivel cam cleat for the traveler on a Prindle 19. I see a few models from Harken. Anyone already tried and can recommend one ..? txs
  • Not sure exactly what models your looking at, but be sure to get one with the Camatic 150 aluminum cam cleat. The plastic cam cleats tend to wear out over time and will eventually allow the line to slip.

sm
  • I just replaced the swivel cam on my Tiger. Although the parts list call for H241, I went with the H240 which has the same base but is topped with the Camatic 150 cam cleat. It is a bit taller but once it is on, it is hardly noticeable.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Just curious.... Is your cam cleat on the traveller or on the crossbar? One of my P19s had the cleat on the traveller but I found the one on the crossbar to be better, so I moved it.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Hi Bill , My traveler is attached to the crossbeam . It looks original to the boat, but being this old there could always be modifications.
    Dssaak, thanks for ur input . Will buy this one , then . Good to have positive feedback before a purchase .
  • Hi Bill , My traveler is attached to the crossbeam . It looks original to the boat, but being this old there could always be modifications.
    Dssaak, thanks for ur input . Will buy this one , then . Good to have positive feedback before a purchase .
  • mattsonJust curious.... Is your cam cleat on the traveller or on the crossbar? One of my P19s had the cleat on the traveller but I found the one on the crossbar to be better, so I moved it.

The P19s all came with the swivel cleat on the crossbar, but there was a hot rod group in So Cal that thought putting it on the traveller car was better. I never saw the advantage to it, and I'm guessing you didn't either.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Oops, never mind, misread...

Edited by wlrottge on Sep 04, 2020 - 11:43 PM.
  • klozhald
    mattsonJust curious.... Is your cam cleat on the traveller or on the crossbar? One of my P19s had the cleat on the traveller but I found the one on the crossbar to be better, so I moved it.

The P19s all came with the swivel cleat on the crossbar, but there was a hot rod group in So Cal that thought putting it on the traveller car was better. I never saw the advantage to it, and I'm guessing you didn't either.

The most significant issue I had was that the traveler was only held by the eyestrap on the rear crossbar. With the cleat on the crossbar it is held by both the eyestrap and the cleat. It buys you a couple more inches of center when going to weather. Doesn't seem like much but with 190 some sq ft of sail it should make some difference.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • Quote It buys you a couple more inches of center when going to weather. Doesn't seem like much but with 190 some sq ft of sail it should make some difference.

this is a big enough issue for many racers to use split travler ends and use separate eyestraps to be able to sqeeze out every inch of purchase to get closer to center.

i attempted this when i got my beams back from my welder and freshly painted with all the old holes welded up (i had cracks in my front beam and after repair and paint i asked to get my rears painted to match. welder found lots of corrosion and he told me my beams wouldn't have lasted much longer had i not taken that beam off for painting). i tried many different ways but just couldn't get it to work well enough for me to add 2 eyestraps (4 holes) to my new beams and hadn't sailed the boat in 18 months and was dying to get out

which brings up one "con" of having the travler mounted to the beam. more holes in your alum beam with steel bolts or rivets. now you have holes in the front and back and if your in salt water - this can lead to corrosion and a weak spot on legacy beams
  • MN3...which brings up one "con" of having the travler mounted to the beam. more holes in your alum beam with steel bolts or rivets. now you have holes in the front and back and if your in salt water - this can lead to corrosion and a weak spot on legacy beams

The other "con" of having the traveller mounted to the beam is that it won't move!!

(Okay... I know you mean cam cleat, but I couldn't resist).

The P19 I am currently sailing has the three eyestraps. I too messed around with this but never got it to work well. And in addition to the 6 holes for those, there are the three for the cam cleat, and I think 6 more for the Cheeta motor bracket. Basically, swiss cheese. Sounds like I should inspect the areas closely for corrosion.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • Quote(Okay... I know you mean cam cleat, but I couldn't resist).

bwah hah - yea, i got that one backwards lol

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.