Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 6.0 measurement  Bottom

• Can some body with a 6.0 measure the distance between the cross bars, center to center fore and aft
    This is for a 5.8 project I am working on
    Thanks
    Carl

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • 87"

What are you working on?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Cool thanks Kevin big help I am going to put 6.0 cross bars on a 5.8 I was given .The 5.8 cross bars are pretty corroded and I was given a set of 6.0 ones.
    I will pop over and measure the distance on the 5.8 now.I needed a tramp anyway so I fiqured it is another 15 bucks for a 6.0 size.I am going to make my standing rigging myself so no problem there

Edited by onekiwi on Sep 02, 2020 - 02:46 PM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • Are those 5.5 or 6.0 beams you got from the Fillmore junkyard? icon_lol

Something I wanted to do with my 5.8 years ago... My main beam was corroded out at the mast post. I went to the factory to get a new set of 6.0 beams for the boat as I wanted the 8'6" width similar to the NACRA 580 8'4" width. They were willing to do it, but advised strongly against it. It had something to do with the way the dolphin striker meets the hull on the 5.8 and the 6.0 and they would have to fabricate a new one due to the shape of the hulls. Not saying it can't be done, but keep that in mind. Good luck, sound like a fun project

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/uploads/monthly_2018_01/Nacra_5-8_Dolphin_striker.jpg.20b4c75557b08cf22987a755c4c8d8fc.jpg

Oh! Something else.. Is this 5.8 a NA rig (bridal foil)? If so, check the main beams and make sure the have a sleeve in them. When they sold the retrofit kit (bridal foil, larger jib, square top sail) for the non NA 5.8 there was a lot of main beam failures. I don't remember what was causing it... but food for thought.

Edit.. the NA retrofit kit did not have the Square Top sail, that came later. And, the cause of the main beam failing (front) was due to the loads being put on it with the square top sail.

Edited by JohnES on Sep 03, 2020 - 05:48 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnES
    https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/uploads/monthly_2018_01/Nacra_5-8_Dolphin_striker.jpg.20b4c75557b08cf22987a755c4c8d8fc.jpg

What is that cleat for?
  • Hey John ,owner of said junkyard may take umbridge at that remark! he may be expecting a public apology haha Got the beams to fit great took 1/2 inch off the dolphin striker ends and installed another bolt on each side, the little stop plates on the hulls lined up well.Relocated the rear stops 1/2 inch inboard.. no big thang. Boat looks good a little wider, beams did have the inserts in them. I have a NA bridal foil for the boat.I have a set p19 sails and boom I am going to use on it.The project is an exercise in using what I have to keep the cost as low as possible.The tramp is basicly a 6.0 with an inch off the width, I was going to get a bias cut tramp but I think I an going to go with a side lace just to be sure.
    Andinista, I dont know what that cleat is for, my boat has not got it could be spin cleat?

Edited by onekiwi on Sep 08, 2020 - 08:01 PM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • Awesome Carl glad to see it is working.. post some pics

Andinista
    JohnES

What is that cleat for?

Not my boat, probably for the mast rotater

Edited by JohnES on Sep 09, 2020 - 11:32 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Have you got any more pictures you could share with us? icon_smile

--
    Russia
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.