Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What is your prefered jib clew attachment hardware????  Bottom

• My Nacra came with a carabiner, and it is too small to capture the grommet. What is a good upgrade??

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • soft shackle
  • Thanks.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • No shackle. Tie the pigtails for the jib blocks directly to the clew plate. Install and remove the jib sheet from the blocks/boat each time you rig. This eliminates any chance for the shackle to hangup on the mast/diamond wires, one less part to fail, and the jib sheet gets stored in the sailbox when not being used which extends it life.

Been doing it this way for several years and it is definitely my preferred method.
  • Good discussion on this very topic here - https://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/18178 -
  • Sister clips. Came with the boat, are light, and work really well.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • mikekrantzsoft shackle

+1

QuoteTie the pigtails for the jib blocks directly to the clew plate. Install and remove the jib sheet from the blocks/boat each time you rig. This eliminates any chance for the shackle to hangup on the mast/diamond wires, one less part to fail,

respectfully prefer to attach the pigtails via a soft shackle
    no need to remove the jib lines (ever) unless you want to store. I store under tarp and more so i prefer to save the rigging time - to each their own for sure!

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130022&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=41a2a4a69d08b651d7d851d4ab5b4f56

Edited by MN3 on Aug 14, 2020 - 01:56 PM.
  • I would love a soft shackle solution, but I need 24" from my jib clew to the jib sheet blocks.

So I would need a monkey fist and loop on each of the three ends. What type of line will be small enough and strong enough to knot in this way? Either the loop or the stopper knot end will have to go through the clew grommet and the jib blocks.

MN3, what kind of knots are those you show?
    I suppose I could just tie the clew end and use the soft shackle technique on the jib blocks...

My current line is 3/8" polyester double braid, and I mention this only to reference the strength needed.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I use this Wichard bit as I had my jib built with an adjustable clew plate and it allows for quick on the water adjustment of foot/leech tension.

https://www.fisheriessupp…rbine-hook-with-eye-2313

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • QuoteMN3, what kind of knots are those you show?
    I suppose I could just tie the clew end and use the soft shackle technique on the jib blocks...

The top part is a very small line (4" maybe) eye spliced with 4mm of dynema with an overhand knot on the end. nothing special at all. doesn't even need to be spiced, you could just tie a small loop. the trick is the size of the loop (not so big it wont hold, not so small you can't push the ball through it)

the bottom part is around 1' of 4mm dynema with end splices

the 2 lines are not tied together, simple luggage tagged together

this has never failed
  • MN3The top part is a very small line (4" maybe) eye spliced with 4mm of dynema with an overhand knot on the end. nothing special at all. doesn't even need to be spiced, you could just tie a small loop. the trick is the size of the loop (not so big it wont hold, not so small you can't push the ball through it)

the bottom part is around 1' of 4mm dynema with end splices

the 2 lines are not tied together, simple luggage tagged together

this has never failed

Thank you!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.