Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Inspection port bag  Bottom

• I am considering sewing some bags for the portholes on my 5.2 for more storage/storage of emergency supplies. I see them for sale
    https://www.google.com/sh…rAhUkU98KHSixAS0Q8wII2AI.
    Has anyone made them or have other recommendations?

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I have those but really never use them....things still get wet inside of the bag.

And, removing these access port while under way could be problem. I instead add a short piece of line tied inside to my wing socket leg on my Hobie 21SE so as not to lose the access lid when they are removed.... icon_wink

A bag inside here would make it difficult to tie off....

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Sounds like a dry bag tied to the lid would keep things dry and from moving in the hull too far. Only problem is the 4 in opening. There are some things I could store in a Nalgean bottle. Peroxide, sunscreen, etc that you could keep in case. I think the bigger issue is opening the damn things. Almost need a lever to make it happen.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I have a bag in one port and I only use it to store the mast step pin. Good enough reason to me, because I always know where it is. Other than that, I need considerably more volume to store stuff so I made myself a tramp bag which I've been using for years. I carry one or two bottles of water, telescopic paddle, an anchor, a dry bag with spray jackets if not in use, keys and wallet in a case, a couple tools, anemometer, a few spares and lines for peace of mind)
  • https://www.murrays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/01-1169.jpg
    https://www.murrays.com/product/01-1169/
    they work with all the caveats above
  • I have two bags I use underway on the cat, and a third that is sewn into the tramp. Water, bananas and small hand tools are in the zippered one sewn on the tramp, more significant food and beverage is in the waterproof one that has velcro straps, and the third is one like you have shown for the port hole which is where I store flares, the first aid kit, etc. It is not long enough to touch the bottom of the hull inside (I shortened it) and soak in the water the whole time. This is great for lake sailing. When I sail or race on the ocean, We are wearing flares, a whistle, knives and a marine radio for safety in case we are separated from the boat in the waves.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Quotebananas

you have bananas on a boat?

ruh roh
    banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana
  • MN3you have bananas on a boat?

Yeah.
    Oddly enough, they are waterproof and make a great snack while sailing.
    Chocolate bars melt to the wrapper, and hard candy (or sandwiches) gets wet and salty.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteAnd, removing these access port while under way could be problem. I instead add a short piece of line tied inside to my wing socket leg on my Hobie 21SE so as not to lose the access lid when they are removed....

On the H18 the ports are 6”, & the Viking kids come with a boss on Center, underside of lid. The boss has a small pilot hole.
    I use a short SS screw to attach a very thin line to the lid. The other end of the line is tied to the Center of a plastic “stick”, about 14” long.
    The stick hangs sideways inside the hull, so you can’t lose the lid. If you really want it out of the way, turn the stick & bring it out of the hull. I also have a watertight container that just fits through the port, again securing it to the first line via another short line so it can’t end up back at the dagger we’ll.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • klozhald
    MN3you have bananas on a boat?

Yeah.
    Chocolate bars melt to the wrapper, and hard candy (or sandwiches) gets wet and salty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxew2iiURs
  • MN3
    klozhald
    MN3
    you have bananas on a boat?

Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxew2iiURs

I am disappointed that you think I sail slow enough to allow tarantulas to hatch and grow big enough to kill me. icon_frown icon_cool
    Funny myth. Plausible historically. I see tarantulas now and then here in AZ but the only one I've seen indoors was a big one in a box below the banana bin at the grocery store. Not sure how the pickers/packers missed that bad boy, or if he just came in out of the heat. The store manager screamed like a little girl when I showed it to him.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • haha!
    i think very highly of you and have faith you will capture and put any stow away in a harness and sail it home!

https://www.montereyboats…-Superstition-1-634.html

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.