Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What do you use for padding over side-stay rigging?  Bottom

• So, I've added shroud extenders to my boat, but am a little uncomfortable with all that metal right at ankle/thigh height in front of me... I'm planning on buying a couple of 24" padded tubular (luggage rack) covers that could slide over them and slide up the line when I need to get to the stays/QR pins.

I've only really seen the plastic shroud covers, which are too small to fit over or PVC pipe covering the chain plates/QR set-up. What do others use besides the factory shroud covers?

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • A hose?
  • I don't see any examples online of luggage covers that are tubes but could work

I sail with a buddy who uses pvc as side stay covers. they work fine but i am not convinced the would stay in place during a capsize - so that may negate their value.
  • Not "luggage covers" , but luggage RACK covers, like these used for surfboards:
    https://www.kosailing.com/hardware-kayak-equipment-hobie-kayak-parts-72049

They seem to be pretty tough, velcro on, can slide up and have ties on the ends to close them, or secure them. At least that's the idea. Whether they're tough enough to keep you from damaging yourself on a pitch-pole, I can't say but should stop the errant slip into the rigging cut.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • gotcha -
    i think it's a sound idea but things have to be pretty tough to survive a few seasons on my boat
  • Went by West Marine and they had self-branded ones that were really rugged, but I just can't bring myself to have that advertised on my boat for some reason, as rough as it is...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some Polycarbonate tubing and slide it over the shroud and chain-plat..

Or some pipe insulation and cable ties...

Edited by JohnES on Jul 08, 2020 - 04:24 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • What about something like a pool noodle, would that work? If so, you would have lots of colors to choose from. icon_biggrin

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Funny you should mention pool noodles... That, with a custom cover was my next move. Found some ready made covers, though. Not perfect, but looks like they work fine. Pics coming.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • pool noodles have a pretty short life span in real world conditions.
    they will last a season at best - but cheap enough that replacing them often isn't a big deal
  • MN3pool noodles have a pretty short life span in real world conditions.
    they will last a season at best - but cheap enough that replacing them often isn't a big deal

True this. I had some spare Sunbrella type material and sewed some tube covers for the foam and they have lasted three years. One long seam to make the tube cover then just tucked the ends inside the center of the foam.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Here's what I ended up with. I just made sure they were made out of sunbrella type material and if a logo had to be there, it pertained to sailing:
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=133325&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Actually turned out rather "swell". Had to add velcro wraps on top and bottom, but the covers also have elastic cords sewn into them I leave tied loosely as to not lose them. Sunbrella type fabric with a firm, pipe insulation core. $32 and looks like it's made for the purpose.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=133328&g2_serialNumber=3
  • Try some PVC tubing. I have some on my F18 stays that are probably 7-8yrs old. Work perfectly. Slide up and down (with some friction) when needed. Stay put otherwise and protect all from the sharp bits. Just checked Lowes.com and they sell it by inside diameter - up to 2"(!)

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.