Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mailing a mainsail  Bottom

• I’m trying to buy a sail from a guy on here. When I look up shipping rates for an 8 foot long package the price goes up well over 100-150 if the box is 10 inches square instead of 8 inches square. Do y’all think a 27is h foot luff main would roll up to fit in the 8 inch box. Otherwise I may have to have it folded and rolled. It’s Mylar.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • If mylar, you must roll the sail - never fold it. Roll and put in round tube. Diameter of tube for mainsail and battens would need to be 10" or 12". 8" seems right for a jib. You could call a sail maker and see how they ship. I have found UPS better on larger freight than fedex.
  • Just shipped an A-Cat main from GA to PA, Fedex had the best rate, $75. I think we managed to get it into an 8 or 9" box. Pull half the battens out and roll as tight as you can. You'll also have to check UPS and USPS, as shipping rates vary drastically depending on the to/from address.
  • If you can use a commercial address many times it is a substantial savings on shipping. I have found fed ex ground to be the best price wise. Service is another story with them.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I've shipped a Hobie 18 Pentex main, they key was that the overall box length stayed under 108" and as small a girth as possible. You can fiddle with the cost estimator and see the changes. I kind of "made" a long box out of two four foot by 8 inch square boxes and a LOT of tape. That was in 2012, it was still expensive but can't remember exactly.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.