Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Naca 6.0 fiberglass repair questions  Bottom

• Hello everyone! We picked up a 2003 Nacra 6.0 this past weekend and it has some damage that will need to be repaired. It had a tree fall on the starboard hull forward of the trampoline. The hull is quite oxidized but appears to be restored to a shine with some compound and a buffer. I have questions about the hull repair, It is all the way through and I can see the foam core, but is near the top deck where the rounded edge begins. I was hoping to use the west system repair process shown in the Jamestown videos on youtube, using a glass backer but am concerned how it will adhere with being so close to the top edge. Also is the damage severe enough to warrant needing to have replacement foam core placed once the backer has adhered? Lastly does anyone know if the red was a standard Nacra color and how we might go about matching it? Everything else appears to be in working order, although the tiller extension is missing so if anyone has one they would like to sell cheap or knows where I can get one or how to make one let me know. Thanks!

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=133243&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=a7d8bff2c0db79d817c812f2471ad064

https://www.thebeachcats.…4473d960eadbb172ffca2fa3
  • That's a significant hit. You'll want to pop the deck lid and inspect any bulkheads nearby and re-glass them as needed. I would grind the exterior and interior of the damage until you get unmolested glass. Don't worry about replacing the foam core, just glass the whole thing with something strong like 1708 and your glue of choice, be it epoxy, vinylester or polyester resin.

The pic appears to be red gel, you can try to color match with gelcoat pigments but it'll never be 100%.
  • There are ways to make a repair from the outside... we have some guys here that do magic, but their cost may be more than the boat cost. My repairs are very ugly.. For what I recall, the top lip/edge is solid glass. I believe the foam starts at that point, or an inch lower.

On the color, I don't think red was from Nacra. I recall in the early boats, they had a white/grey two tone, but turned to solid white a few years later. You could do a wet sand, buff to bring our the color.. but I'm not sure how thick the paint is... maybe just plan on sanding it down, priming and repainting.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • https://youtu.be/rz5WCfipaNw

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnEShttps://youtu.be/rz5WCfipaNw

this is a great video for surface repair

i agree with headshrinker said above - that this repair will probably deserve a much deeper dive

that area is a high load part of the boat, and there is a fair chance there could be some internal damage to a bulkhead - if that is correct, a failed bulkhead can = a failed bow

worth at the very least cutting an inspection hull in several spots to inspect (and push on) each bulkhead - ymmv
  • Someone more familiar with Nacra’s may know better, but I’m quite certain that at least on the smaller boats, the decks can be removed from the hull. If the 6.0 is similar, then you should be able to remove the deck to access the inside of the hull for the repair. Then epoxy the deck back on without the need for access ports or major surgery to the hull.

sm
  • DogboySomeone more familiar with Nacra’s may know better, but I’m quite certain that at least on the smaller boats, the decks can be removed from the hull. If the 6.0 is similar, then you should be able to remove the deck to access the inside of the hull for the repair. Then epoxy the deck back on without the need for access ports or major surgery to the hull.

sm

Yes, you can pop the lids on these boats, a very careful process.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.