Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 Softball Questions  Bottom

• Have a couple of soft ball questions:

1) Jib tack rigging--can someone please describe how the clam cleat on the jib sail at the tack is used? I know it is to tension the sail but where do you attach the line? Around the chain plate? I have a continuous jib halyard with roller furler and have a cleat on the chain plate to take up the slack in the halyard. I am sure I can figure it out but thought I would ask.

2) Rudder lift--my rudders are pretty tight, one side locks down and the other not so much. It is also difficult to lift them up when heading in to the ramp. Is there a good description on how the rudders should be rigged so they lock down but are not impossible to release from the boat under sail? Familiar with Hobie rudders but am a newbie with adjusting the Nacra system. Again probably an easy answer.

Thanks for considering it!
  • My jib sheet terminates at the becket on the block.

New 1/4 line and maybe new bungees will make the rudders work better. Verify jam cleat is ok. There are photos on line showing routing.

Have fun, its a great boat.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Many don't use a clam cleat at all. Their halyard comes down the mast & cleats. For years we just tensioned to take the wrinkles out & sailed.
    That said, I have the ability to tension on both the 5.7 & 5.0. However, this is easier if you have roller furling setup.
    Your jib halyard goes up the forestay, around the small block, then BACK DOWN THE FORESTAY, (inside the zipper that keeps the sail on the forestay. Now, just pull the desired tension & cleat. Make sure you have some sort of stopper knot so you don't lose the halyard end out of the cleat, or your tipping the boat retrieve it. You also need sister clips to remove the unused section of halyard once the jib is up.
    There are numerous ways to attach the tack. I use a small bit of Spyder Line. Nacra has an official tang that pins it, & I have used a small shackle. This is my current setup. It's the 5.7 but they are the same rigging.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=103246&g2_serialNumber=6

Rudders...I like my Dart & Hobie 18 (EPO) rudders better, but the Nacra system is simple & it works, you just have to get setup properly.
    A) Make sure you use a "harder" little stretch line. It is critical that the line goes into the cleat, & doesn't slide. I have used Stay Set, but its not quite as good as some others. If the line stretches, or slips even a little, your rudder comes up a bit, resulting in tiller tug.
    B) Your cleats- if the teeth are worn they won't grab the line until it slides a bit, resulting in rudder blade movement.
    C) Bungees- I use 3/8", stretch it, then hold with vice grips while you crimp a hog ring. Don't forget a 1" piece of garden hose so the rudder blade doesn't bang against the casting.
    The Pivamtic, (Nacra Term, West Marine guys generally have never heard of it), cleats wear. I have removed the plastic ones & replaced with an aluminum clam cleat. I don't think you can buy the originals anymore, though I have one or two new in box I can part with.
    Here is a description of rudder rigging, it's in a 5.7 album I made, under Personal Albums. If you follow the tips there, your rudders are fine. I need to be able to round up as I approach my dock, so I tension so rudders will still hang in the water when released. Tension to your requirements. HTH
    https://www.thebeachcats.…pictures?g2_itemId=80972

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 19, 2020 - 10:47 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Apologies for the long delayed thank you--just coming back to this post.

Thank you for these great replies. My rig is different. I need to take pictures and then ask for advice. Really appreciate your help and this Forum.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.