Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Raising the mast  Bottom

• I have a 1979 Hobie beach cat and I’m having trouble stepping the mast. I’ve snapped two mast base hinges trying to get it up. What’s the best method to get it up? I’ve look at the mast stepper III but it might not fit my model. Do I need to the lines to the fore stay to keep the mast from swaying? Is it better to raise it while on the ground or trailer? Any help appreciated.
  • Whenever possible, it is preferable to step the mast while the boat is on the trailer. This is preferred because the boat is still tied down and stable. Stability will help you.

When you raise the mast on the H16, the hinge over-rotates and the ball wants to miss the socket (towards the front) because of the mast leverage (you are pushing on the 30% mast length when trying to raise it).

Typically I would raise the mast until about 80degrees; while pushing with one hand about shoulder height; pull the bottom of the mast backwards to pop the hinge backwards so the ball would line up with the socket. If you are not able to do this, ask the crew to push the bottom of the mast to align with the socket. Be careful with the crew near the socket and mast base while raising the mast- if a pin comes loose- anyone near the base of the mast could get hurt.

My 1983 H16 preferred the pin location for the H14 on the hinge. If you have options- see which hole works better?

If you raise the mast on the trailer- it should not sway and you do not need to tie anything to a forestay.

Cheers

--
    David
    Inter 20
    Southern Maine
    --
  • Forgot to mention (maybe obvious, maybe not?) works best if the trailer is attached to the car. If not, someone needs to stand on the tongue of the trailer while someone is standing behind the axle.

--
    David
    Inter 20
    Southern Maine
    --
  • Thanks David.

This is a Hobie 18’. Mast is a bit different from a 16’.
  • walterjamesI have a 1979 Hobie beach cat and I’m having trouble stepping the mast. I’ve snapped two mast base hinges trying to get it up. What’s the best method to get it up? I’ve look at the mast stepper III but it might not fit my model. Do I need to the lines to the fore stay to keep the mast from swaying? Is it better to raise it while on the ground or trailer? Any help appreciated.

dcwhite offers some great advice on this. Especially that part about allowing the mast base to fall aft just before the mast goes vertical. Sometimes you can do this by letting the mast fall back just a bit, then quickly push it forward at the highest point you are able to do so. It's very audibly obvious when the mast has fallen into position.

If you need side-to-side stability, you can tie your trapeze wires to the outer sides of the front crossbar. But be sure to leave some slack, as you are tying them relative to the narrower axis. As the mast goes up, your loops of line will be on the wider axis and the lines will tighten up. If you rig them tight, they will tighten to the point that you cannot get the mast vertical.

Having the trailer linked to a vehicle is also a lesson many of us here learned the hard way.

Finally, a point on older boats. I've heard or read some comments from newer sailors that their trampolines are near end of life, and the perceived risk is that they would just be going through it while sailing and just "getting wet". Not the case. The risk of an old trampoline failing is while you are stepping the mast, an event which carries the potential of catastrophic injury.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • lots of good advice
    i think "crew" is only mentioned 1 time above and my main suggestion is get a few buddies to help you practice rigging in your yard a few times. offer beer and pizza - you will be more comfortable with it the more you do it

when i had my h18 i purchased an ez step
    it was a BEAR to set up and dial in (esp in the sun at the beach) - but once the straps were adjusted correctly - they are good but time consuming and not needed if you have a helper

After using it a dozen times i gave up and just asked other sailors to hop on my tramp with me and help me walk up the mast.

(these days i put a line on my forestay and ask for someone to pull the line as i step the mast)

I agree with the above "mast must stay inline or your base will bend or worse"

Pin the mast (have helper hold mast while you pin)
    place mast head on ladder (or use second helper)
    Get helper up on tramp with you
    the 2 of you walk the mast up
    one of you hold the mast while the other jumps down and pins it (or second helper can now do this)

Practice this a few times (i recommend in a nice shady spot in your yard)

keep all items and people away from the mast/boat during this
    NEVER ask someone to stand under your mast as you lower it (i have seen hinges break and masts fall on people)

read the hobie manual - it describes the safest method
    watch a bunch of youtube videos for ideas - but be aware: everyone has their own system and sometimes they aren't the best -
  • Two quick points.

Having the boat pointed a bit down hill while raising the mast by hand helps quite a bit.

Secondly, having the boat level side to side helps keep the mast in line when raising.

Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Realizing that the OP has now clarified he owns a H18, here are a couple of things that may be helpful to any H16 owners who may be enjoying this thread...

dcwhite...When you raise the mast on the H16, the hinge over-rotates and the ball wants to miss the socket (towards the front) because of the mast leverage (you are pushing on the 30% mast length when trying to raise it)....

...My 1983 H16 preferred the pin location for the H14 on the hinge. If you have options- see which hole works better?...

With a newer, unmolested Hobie hinge, the mast base ball on the H16 will not overshoot the step cup. It has a shoulder that catches on the sides of the slot in the step. The base will pivot on the lower pin until the shoulder catches, then on the upper pin which guides the ball right into the cup.

Boat/standard rigging age (lengths varied over the years) and mast rake (where shrouds are pinned) can affect how the hinge holes line up with the hole in the base. I often use the H14 hole when the shrouds are pinned low for max rake, especially when lowering the mast (where ball/cup alignment is not so critical). Sometimes pulling slack out of the forestay is needed to help the holes line up as well. If all else fails, it may necessary to loosen a shroud (move the pin up), raise/lower mast, then return shroud pin to prior location.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.