Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Wing Netting  Bottom

• I managed to get a sail in with my kids this morning and realized that I've got to get something to fill in the gap between the wings and the hull on my H21sc. It's a small gap for an adult but a 6 y/o sees it as a giant chasm. I recall seeing some cat sailors at the Everglades Challenge use netting to cover up the gaps. Does anyone have experience with a product that would work well? I'm thinking a poly netting with 1"-1.5" mesh would be ideal. So far everything I've found in that mesh size tends to be made of very thin cordage, it would need to be thick enough that a kid could step on it without hurting bare feet. Any ideas out there?
  • I'd look for something like the climbing net used in schools. Not sure where you could get it - maybe a playground supply shop?

--
    Tony H
    Hobie 18
    Sailing Mission Bay and nearby CA
    --
  • Feels scary. Potential downing hazard during capsize. Could also lead to capsize. Sun damages material. Foot goes through. Caught on lee side in wind and over she goes. Definite no if trap hooks are involved.

Edited by traphappy on May 16, 2020 - 05:59 AM.
  • traphappyFeels scary. Potential downing hazard during capsize.

I was thinking the same thing. I’m sure the 21SC is a very stable boat and with a mast float, unlikely to turtle. But the thought of potentially having inverted netting under water gives me chills.

sm
  • Dogboy
    traphappyFeels scary. Potential downing hazard during capsize.

I was thinking the same thing. I’m sure the 21SC is a very stable boat and with a mast float, unlikely to turtle. But the thought of potentially having inverted netting under water gives me chills.

sm

+1
  • ~~ A+ for Traphappy and MN3 I got caught under my tramp at one time. ( kinda of a long story). After that I carried a knife. I'd gladly rip out a $300 tramp and buy another, a life NOT so much. If I were you, I wouldn't do it... Think SAFETY. Talk to your son about it... "Good luck & Sail safe'' ~~~

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I sailed my 18 with wings and 21 with wings and kids that age a bunch. Once they get used to it mine didn’t mind it. They also however love laying on the center lacing catching the water go by. In the 21SC, I would think they would never leave the front tramp. I think a few more sails, in calm conditions and they will figure it out. Good luck. Glad you are getting more kids out sailing.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.