Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Integrated trapeze harness & life jacket?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Does anyone know of an integrated trapeze harness and life jacket?

James the hopeful :)
  • I think those have been tried/invented but didn't turn out to be as good an idea as it sounds.

Others may have personal experience.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • https://www.kickstarter.c…buoyancy-trapeze-harness

--
    David
    Inter 20
    Southern Maine
    --
  • https://www.bloodredcloth…sailing-trapeze-harness/

--
    David
    Inter 20
    Southern Maine
    --
  • David, thank you! Are you using it and if so, do you like it?
  • I asked the Spinlock rep about such a product at the Annapolis Boat Show.He didn't seem interested.
    Will the product linked above have USCG approval?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I went to order the Bloodred after watching the YouTube video but they don't have any medium/larges available. I recommend folks watch the video as it looks low profile and comfortable.
  • If it's made in England, it won't be USCG approved; CE only. Good Luck!

--
    Master UniRig Sailor
    --
  • Ad states that it is a ”bouyancy aid.” Unlikely that it is approved by any governing body. That said, I guess you could just stuff a USCG approved jacket in your hull and wear this if you want to still be legal.

sm
  • I have not purchased it. I can't justify the expense while having good harnesses and PFDs at this time. In my opinion, if the European Union has approved a PFD, I believe it is adequate. I know the USCG would disagree with my opinion. I have never heard of this level of detail actually being a problem, or European regulation/CE being reckless?

--
    David
    Inter 20
    Southern Maine
    --
  • DogboyAd states that it is a ”bouyancy aid.” Unlikely that it is approved by any governing body. That said, I guess you could just stuff a USCG approved jacket in your hull and wear this if you want to still be legal.

sm

If your concern is being "legal", in a hatch is not legal
    Also if you are concerned about being legal - all boats over 16' are required by the USCG to have a throwable pfd readily accessible at all times
  • I looked at one during a boat show a couple years ago, it looked very poorly built and in my opinion not do as good of a job as a buoyancy aid or trapeze harness.
  • I'll keep hoping, sailed yesterday and the separate harness and life jacket over the 2 piece kayak drysuit is ever so uncomfortable.

On another note, 1st sail with Code 0 yesterday (instead of snu launched spin). It just fits the wind ranges better as I used it close-hauled to ghost out of the harbor (where it would have been too high line for spin) and it gave the necessary juice to get home downwind at a real nice pace. I'll likely use it into higher wind ranges than the spin too.

James
    H17+, F25C+
  • QuoteI'll keep hoping, sailed yesterday and the separate harness and life jacket over the 2 piece kayak drysuit is ever so uncomfortable.

what kinda pfd and what kinda harness?

lots of the locals wear kiteboarding harness and those have a much lower profile
  • Looked into this a while back that is making and selling them... you'll never get a USCG approval form a combination like this.

If someone has, good on them..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Delayed response since we've been without power for almost 2 days.

I have several harnesses: Hobie, Murrays, Neil Pryde, Magic Marine and they are comfortable by themselves.

I have several low profile/minimal PFDs (kayaking, wake boarding, etc.) and they are comfortable by themselves.

Put them together over a drysuit => uncomfortable and restrictive :)

James
  • Here's the response from David at Bloodred about USCG certification.

Our Integra harness meets 50N ISO safety rating. i believe USCG standard is 75N rating, we didn't pursue that level as the testing costs are prohibitive

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I think sewing a strap to a harness to strap them together at the bottom would be interesting.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • gahambyHere's the response from David at Bloodred about USCG certification.

Our Integra harness meets 50N ISO safety rating. i believe USCG standard is 75N rating, we didn't pursue that level as the testing costs are prohibitive

When I was looking into this I had contacted a company - Jobe in Florida. They are big in other water-sports stuff and they did a lot of contract work for other brand names in the industry.

Anyway, they gave me an education on the USCG approval process. From what I remember it seems that the USCG has a mandate that a life jacket/preserver is just that and nothing else. Then there is also the liability & insurance issue and the underwriters and lawyers can be pretty tough on what they will allow.

The head scratcher here is in looking at the krap I see at the discount stores has a USCG rating, I wouldn't consider it for anything more than a gardening knee pad.

With that I would be interested in hear the feedback if anyone gets one of these. But in looking at the ISO ratings a 50N is approved for use in sheltered waters. 275N if what would need for the Santa Barbara Channel. Read on

https://www.iso.org/ics/13.340.70/x/

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Quotehttps://www.iso.org/ics/13.340.70/x/

Great data - thanks for sharing

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.