Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Jib Snorkel/ Cover  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• The old Hobie snorkel that came with my boat (H21sc) has disintegrated and with a new jib I feel the urge to keep it protected for a while. Does anyone have a recommendation for a jib snorkels ? It looks like most range from $120 to $150. I'm leaning towards the SLO made out of the Top Gun material but at nearly $165 after shipping it's a hard pill to swallow.

Alternatively, if anyone knows any sail-makers or upholsterers in the Tampa bay area that they would recommend I wouldn't mind exploring that as an option.
  • I needed a jib snorkel and after pricing around bought my own sewing machine. You would be surprised how easy something like that can be. I have done a half dozen now for my own boats and friends. The sewing machine is more than paid for. After that, every little project you do is free money.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • I agree, if you’re reasonably handy, have access to a sewing machine, and want to save some money, build one yourself. It is very simple, just a long rectangle with a zipper and a tie off loop at each end.

That said, it still won’t be super cheap. The expense is in the Sunbrella material which is fairly pricey. But on the flip side- that fabric will last 20 years.

sm
  • Whirlwind sails made me a red new snorkel out of Sunbrella for my Hobie 21SE when I ordered a new jib. It works great! Thanks Chip.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • There are good fabrics out there other than Sumbrella for a lot less. If you don't mind a faded color, but still have UV protection, then material is out there for a fraction of the price.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Solution dyed polyester fabric... fleabay; look for "seconds" or "irregulars". I mean after all, aren't we? Seems fitting. You just end up cutting around what the mill rejected anyway, or it's not enough to worry about. Had some black that lasted >6 years in the Central Texas sun without fading as a roof for a couple deer stands. Man, I caught crap for sewing my roof... But it worked great!

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xweathermax+fabric.TRS0&_nkw=weathermax+fabric&_sacat=0

Weathermax looks to be similar. Don't use black - while it lasts the longest - it soaks up heat.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Delete - double post.

Edited by charlescarlis on Apr 21, 2020 - 04:27 PM.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I got mine from SLO. It's been fine.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • As Charlie said, the solution dyed fabric is it. When they first start production, it takes a few yards before the colour is consistent, it may have a few streaks. These “ends” are sold in 20-25 HD rolls, at considerable discount.
    I purchased a 25 yd roll of black Weathermax, can’t remember if it was 60 or 80. The 60 series is fine for a snorkel.
    I think it’s a better fabric than Sunbrella for many purposes. Sunbrella is HEAVY, & has poor abrasion resistance.
    I had a neighbour (used to own a canvas/awning shop), duplicate a cover for the jet ski. It’s 4 years now, shows no degradation.
    Look on EBay for deals on end rolls. In a hot sun climate, I would also spend the extra money & use the better thread, Tenara or Sailrite.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Be sure to have the design cover the head of the jib. I have seen many where the head of the sail is exposed and eventually rots out. The head of the sail usually blows out.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Thanks for all the replies. I should mention that my goal is to leave the jib furled and tied to the mast during trailering and storage. (Please add opinions if this plan is asking for trouble) I'm hoping it will speed up setup time and not having experience with a zippered luff i'm nervous that constantly uninstalling and re-installing the jib is just going to lead to failure of the zipper. The boat is kept in covered storage so it may only be mast-up a couple days a year so UV exposure will be minimal.

It maybe a train wreck but I'm going try sewing my own out of a scrap piece of 16 mil polyethylene tarp. I experimented sewing a hem with just some general use thread and it turned out surprisingly well. I just ordered the zipper and some heavier thread from Sailrite. I'll share how it turns out.
  • FYI....Not sure if Murrays has a snorkel that will fit, but I have one of theirs for my Hobie 14T. I'm sure it's Sunbrella, and the quality is excellent. Seems to be more durable and holding up better than another Murrays one I had before (which was pretty darn good, too).

SLO makes some quality stuff as well. I have one of their Sunbrella covers for a Sunfish....very nice.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • niknot90882 I'm hoping it will speed up setup time and not having experience with a zippered luff i'm nervous that constantly uninstalling and re-installing the jib is just going to lead to failure of the zipper.

It's not a common failure point in my experience, I wouldn't be concerned about that. A good tip to make the jib hoisting easier is to tie a lanyard to the zipper car and hook it somewhere on the bridle or adjuster, then you have both hands to pull the halyard and arrange the jib as it goes up, without having to hold the zippper.

niknot90882It maybe a train wreck but I'm going try sewing my own out of a scrap piece of 16 mil polyethylene tarp.

Make sure the tarp is UV resistant or it will disintegrate after some exposure.

Edited by Andinista on Apr 23, 2020 - 10:29 AM.
  • If you are going to leave your jib covered and tied to your mast during storage, you might need to be concerned with mice before UV exposure.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Is it common to trailer with the jib "snorkled"? I know Hobie kind of promotes in an old set-up video that and I have come into a snorkel... That COULD save another 15 minutes (?) for me, if worth it.

And what's with all the mice??? I don't seem to have that problem (knock on wood).

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • charlescarlisIs it common to trailer with the jib "snorkled"? I know Hobie kind of promotes in an old set-up video that and I have come into a snorkel... That COULD save another 15 minutes (?) for me, if worth it.

And what's with all the mice??? I don't seem to have that problem (knock on wood).

I guess your driving speed matters a bit but if your under 50 mph i think it's fine to keep it furled and snorkled as long as it is secured to the tramp with line or velcro straps or similar

I used to keep my h18 furled and on the tramp

but i couldn't do this with my current Portuguese turnbuckle setup

Your jib will live longer if you take it off the forestay, clean and store it kindly after use but if economy of time is more important ...

Edited by MN3 on Apr 23, 2020 - 04:04 PM.
  • charlescarlisIs it common to trailer with the jib "snorkled"?

I wouldn’t call it common to do this, but it has certainly been done. If you sail the boat often, perhaps every few weeks, I think this would be reasonable. If you only sail occasionally, then I would remove the jib each time and store it “properly”. Also make sure the jib is well secured as mentioned above if you do this. I have had a snorkel zipper blow apart in strong winds allowing the jib to partially unfurl. Last thing you would want would be for the jib to come flying out as you’re cruising down the interstate.

sm
  • I have been towing with a furled, "snorkled" jib for a long time and it has never been an issue. Ball bungees are wonderful things. If you place a half dozen front to back attached to the mast you are good to go.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Thanks everyone for the replies. I finally managed to sew a snorkel together. I used some scrap tarp material from the boats cover, 180" #10 YKK zipper and #69 thread. The total cost ended up being about $30 and it went together pretty easy with a home sewing machine.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=133055

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=133058

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=133061

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.