Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 Hull weights  Bottom

• I've searched for what Hobie 18 Hulls should weigh couldn't find anything. So this winter while I had mine taken apart to wet sand a buff I weighed them. I was somewhat shocked by the range of weight. The lightest hull was 126lb 6oz the heaviest was 136lb 12oz and those 2 hulls were on the same boat ! The other hulls were 134lbs 8 oz and 132lbs even. All weights still had port hatches, bow tangs, rudder gudgeons, drain plugs, shroud pins and trap shock cords left in the hulls.

--
    H14
    H16
    H18
    H18
    --
  • Not terribly surprising. You have to consider that there are a considerable amount of manual operations that go into building a boat hull - the layup and wetting out of the glass is all done by hand and the amount of resin that the operator uses will directly affect weight. There were also different layups used on the Hobie 18 during different eras, so the boats had different weights in different years. My 1985 hulls (known to be a “light year” weighed around 110 Lbs when I weighed them on a bathroom scale. Certainly light, but on the flip side, they developed significant cracks under nearly all of the crossbar anchor points that needed to be repaired. My 1990 hulls are noticeably heavier (haven’t weighed them), but are bomb proof.

sm
  • -

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Mar 17, 2020 - 06:47 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.