Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Ordering a mainsail, Nacra 5.2  Bottom

• I am looking to finally invest in my 1983 Nacra 5.2. I have reached out to a loft for a mylar square top mainsail. Do I need to build some raked spreaders and tell the loft about it to use a square top and the sail effectively? I am sure I would need a serious downhaul too.
    I mostly causally sail, but I am wanting to get into the Gulf racing scene. Thanks.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Since you’re on the gulf call Hunter Riddle at Schurr Sails in Pensacola. He built my 5.7 sails

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I 2ND tnell....Schurr built my NACRA 500 Sails and did an amazing job. Great customer service too!!

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • If most of your sailing is recreational and not racing you might want to consider dacron. Having a lot of experience with both, dacron has advantages, the only downside is they stretch a little. When you convert from pin-head to square top you add a little sail area to the upper third of the leech. What I'm wondering is could you shorten the foot enough to go boomless and make up for the lost sail area with what you're adding to the leech? If you did this you would probably have to add a positive mast rotation control. Look at the main on a Nacra 500. Glaser Sails in S. Ca, has experience with this. One more thing, a powerful downhaul is always desirable. You don't want to have to stand up to get enough pressure. Good luck!

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I second a dacron for rec sailing, I have a suit of both, but honestly mostly use the laminated sail as it makes the boat much more controlable single hand.

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • I have a nacra 5.2 with a square top sail love it. It came with the boat so thats all I have sailed with. Interestingly for the heck of it I put a hobie 18 square top main on it and it fit perfectly also if you find a deal see if it works for you. I also have a very good downhaul makes a big difference. My 2 cents worth
  • I've got a lightly used mylar Hobie 18 radial jib and square top main and jib that I gave up trying to sell on Craigslist if there is any interest.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Honestly if you are going to keep the straight spreader and stock downhaul I'd just go with a pin head. I got a wicked square top for my 5.2 from chip buck but I'd not be honest if I didn't say it really overpowers a boat that already has plenty of sale. I've never got the spreaders and downhaul to work properly so I mostly just sail my 5.7 now. I have a pentex and dacron sails. I like the pentex its stiff and easy to trim, but dacron will last longer.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Honestly if you are going to keep the straight spreader and stock downhaul I'd just go with a pin head. I got a wicked square top for my 5.2 from chip buck but I'd not be honest if I didn't say it really overpowers a boat that already has plenty of sale. I've never got the spreaders and downhaul to work properly so I mostly just sail my 5.7 now. I have a pentex and dacron sails. I like the pentex its stiff and easy to trim, but dacron will last longer.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am in limbo until my Nacra 5.0 sells.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.