Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 570 sport help  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• QuoteIt appears that the sport model and the other 2 versions have very different foresail configurations, not the least of which would include a roller furler on some of them.

Yes the sport models have a lower jib (and different cut) - at least that is true for the new 5.2 (i sail with a long time 5.7 sailor who just purchased a brand new 5.2 last fall)

I could be wrong but I dont think the furling jib is stock - at least is isn't currently
    Sport
    https://www.nacrasailing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/570-sport.jpg
    Fun
    https://www.nacrasailing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/570-fun-.jpg
    School
    https://www.nacrasailing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/570-school.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Feb 14, 2020 - 04:19 PM.
  • I'm also in San Antonio, but have not joined LCYC as the club isn't really setup for beach cats. I have plenty of friends in the club and have launched there a couple of times, but it's just too difficult to get my boat in and out of the water there.

I have a Nacra as well.... Just a slightly larger model, lol.

We have a great local fleet that you should definitely get in touch with. I'll send you a private message with my contact information and will forward over the contact info for the catamaran fleet. I think our next meeting is going to be in about two weeks-ish.

The fleet is trying to do more social and learn to sail type of events and many of us are glad to help however we can.
  • Yes i'm new to Hobie fleet 128 but I'm plugged in with that group and some of the other multihull sailors at the lake. Plan of taking my Hobie 16 to a few regattas this year if the crew (wife) can hang.

Back to the boat...
    The sail shop in austin is no longer a nacra shop and the previous guy I was referred to couldn't help me.

The good new is that I've come to believe that my boat has rigging and hardware for the sport and the standard jib sizes hence some of my confusion.

The current sport setup uses a jib wire with a thin line that is used to zip the halyard wire inside the jib zipper luff. According to the standard manual for similar boats, the line is removed and a thicker line is attached and used to tension the jib. I don't have any hardware that fits the few examples I've seen.

Still no idea on the two clamcleats (v-jam, one on spinnaker, one on the port side forward crossbar near mast) and still no word back from Nacra support yet either. Unless anyone here has a bright idea, I may end up contacting other Nacra dealers in the states or just rig my own setup.

Again, I appreciate the help and advice!
  • QuoteThe current sport setup uses a jib wire with a thin line that is used to zip the halyard wire inside the jib zipper luff. According to the standard manual for similar boats, the line is removed and a thicker line is attached and used to tension the jib. I don't have any hardware that fits the few examples I've seen.

Cheapest parts on the boat
    2 sister clips from west marine - $3.95 ea
    https://www.sailrite.com/Product%20Images/Sister-Clip-Stainless-Steel-With-Ferrule_1.jpg

https://www.westmarine.co…lip--110793?recordNum=19

i would recommend a 2 mm dynema or 3mm jackeded dyneema (or other similar high tech line)
    you don't need a thicker one for load with Hi Modulious lines - you need a shorter one left on the boat to remove the slack after the jib is hoisted (otherwise extra jib forestay tail will inevitably find its way out and become a problem at an inopportune time)

as per the spin cleats:

I would suggest:
    just rig the boat.
    If you don't know the system: i would just leave the spin in the bag for the first few rigs and test everthing out

after you have that all figured out do a dry run with the spin sheets, tack and head lines and the cleats MAY give away their purpose.

don't forget: there is a million ways to rig a boat and used boats may have some previous owner modifications since we most have our own systems we prefer.
  • Hey Grahmann,
    I live in San Antonio and I'm coaching the Op class at LCYC.
    I do sail Hobie Cats and if needed, could help rigging your Nacra.
    Will be there this Saturday for practice.
    Cheers
    yam
  • Don't follow the instructions about removing the thin line part of the halyard after hoisting. Instead, coil it up and strap it to the spi pole with a bungee or Velcro. Also consider attaching something heavy to the and of that line.

My cat has the same setup and I got tired of losing the too-thin springy halyard, having to drop the mast at inconvenient times.

The recommended setup saves 30grams which I'm sure out Olympic teams closer to Gold on nacra17. For everyone else it's awkward and pointless...

Edited by yvidal on Feb 21, 2020 - 07:28 AM.
  • QuoteHey Grahmann,
    I live in San Antonio and I'm coaching the Op class at LCYC.
    I do sail Hobie Cats and if needed, could help rigging your Nacra.
    Will be there this Saturday for practice.
    Cheers
    yam

Hi Yam!

Yes we've actually met before, I guess you'll be coaching Travis M's son. I'll try and bring the boat tomorrow (I still need to repack the wheel bearings), I'll be there early to do PRO training with Rick M either way. Hope to see you there!
  • Maybe for self tackers and jibs that aren't on a furler but if furling and or you have no spin pole to secure the unused jib halyard tail. i HIGHLY recommend the use of a sister clip and storing the extra line in a hatch or bag or something.
    These often worm out of the jib luff (only place to store the extra with a furler) and can wrap themself around the furler/bridal and prevent furling or cause some issues at the worst possible time.

I 100% agree stretchy line has no place on a beach cat

martin_langhoffDon't follow the instructions about removing the thin line part of the halyard after hoisting. Instead, coil it up and strap it to the spi pole with a bungee or Velcro. Also consider attaching something heavy to the and of that line.

My cat has the same setup and I got tired of losing the too-thin springy halyard, having to drop the mast at inconvenient times.

The recommended setup saves 30grams which I'm sure out Olympic teams closer to Gold on nacra17. For everyone else it's awkward and pointless...

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.