Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra End Cap 3D Printing  Bottom

• As part of putting my Nacraa 5.2 forest cat back together, I've been looking at sources for new end caps, since the boat only had one remaining. I found them online for $30 each, which is too rich for my blood. I then ran across the turned PVC plumbing cap solution so I bought a set, only for them to sit for a couple years because I don't know anyone that does lathe work.

Then earlier this week it hit me that I have an architecture firm with CAD software and a 3D printer. So I took my one remaining end cap and a set of calipers and drafted up a replica in the computer. The one change I made is I took the center hole for the righting line and increased the radius so it won't wear on the shock cord.

https://i.imgur.com/yoNEXpO.jpg

I sent it to print, and I think it came out pretty good. Eyeballing it, it looked like just about the right size.

https://i.imgur.com/9ibUzYc.jpg?1
    https://i.imgur.com/xhNX7lQ.jpg?1

I took it home to put on the beam, AND...

https://i.imgur.com/bmH9jne.jpg

About 1-2mm too large. Oh well, I resized it and have a new one printing now.

With the 3D printing technology, I can really make these things look like whatever I want, whic his pretty neat. We'll see how it goes...

--
    Erik
    1979 Nacra 5.2
    Central Virginia
    --
  • Those are very good locking, How much did they charge, was it really less then the
    black caps from Murray's

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • Nice. I 3D print often and the PLA parts often come out slightly oversized, a few percent. What material are you printing with? PLA?

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • ohmsj How much did they charge, was it really less then the black caps from Murray's

I should have specified - I own the architecture firm. The 3D printer belongs to my business partner two offices down. Cost to me is effectively $0.

ctcataman What material are you printing with? PLA?

Yeah, we use PLA in our printer. From what I've read, it seems to be more outdoor resistant than some other materials. I guess time will tell. If it doesn't last longer than a season... print another set!

--
    Erik
    1979 Nacra 5.2
    Central Virginia
    --
  • Awesome job. I have a buddy looking into printing end caps for the Tornado.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • I believe the hole in the end cap is for the shock cord for the trapeze, not the righting line.
  • Have you considered just leaving the end caps off? They are purely cosmetic anyway. Some of the boats I have rebuilt have had considerable corrosion where the bolts go through the back up bars within the cross tubes making it a lot harder to get the boat apart. Some of this is probably due to not rinsing the salt water out of the cross tubes. I was more inclined to rinse in there without the end caps. I filed down the sharp edges so the shock cord for the trapeze would not wear quickly. If you're doing a complete restoration where looks matter, go for the end caps. Take them off and rinse out the cross tubes when you know you've got a lot of salt water in there. If you can get the bolts unscrewed and remove the cross tubes be sure and grease the bolts and apply a good silicon bedding compound to the saddles before reassembling.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • shortyfoxHave you considered just leaving the end caps off? They are purely cosmetic anyway.

The caps are not purely cosmetic. They center up the trap bungee in the front. They help support the open end of the crossbar and help prevent crushing. They smooth the crossbar opening to reduce injury. And maybe as important as all the other functions KEEP WASPS and birds OUT.

Edited by leeboweffect on Nov 15, 2019 - 10:47 AM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • shortyfox...be sure and grease the bolts and apply a good silicon bedding compound to the saddles before reassembling.

I actually have the whole boat apart right now, so I have that in the plans for when I reassemble. I was going to use faring compound to do the bedding, actually.

leeboweffectThe caps are not purely cosmetic. They center up the trap bungee in the front. They help support the open end of the crossbar and help prevent crushing. They smooth the crossbar opening to reduce injury. And maybe as important as all the other functions KEEP WASPS and birds OUT.

My original set of beams had problems with crushing and yes, were full of wasps ans squirrel nests. Two reasons I want to put end caps on the new set.

Edited by loquinho on Nov 15, 2019 - 11:29 AM.

--
    Erik
    1979 Nacra 5.2
    Central Virginia
    --
  • I stand corrected on the end cap discussion on you're end cap issues. I have no experience with the older Nacras with the round cross tubes. The Nacra I used to have had rectangular cross tubes and perimeter supportive back up bars so crushing was not an issue. Good luck!

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • way to go loquinho!
    i (also an architect) suggested that someone do this back in 2015 so i'm glad to see your success.
    j
    https://www.thebeachcats.…nc=viewtopic&topic=15434

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • very cool man, very cool. nice to see people creating solutions.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    YouTube link to see boat in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddinE6IorSrPpZrlvcwAjRzSIQsKYPG1
    --
  • I’ll take a set of 4 if you’re selling them..5.7

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I too have CAD designed the NACRA beam caps and have printed them out. They fit very well. Happy to share these files, or print you some caps, just message me.jsdiii@comcast.net

Edited by sduff on Mar 21, 2021 - 11:07 PM.
  • If there is any concern about the PLA being affected by UV exposure, a coat or two of marine paint would fully weatherproof them and look good.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Just about to order a $120 set from Murray’s for N5.7..
    How available are yours?
    Interested.

Edited by jd91t on Mar 22, 2021 - 12:19 PM.
  • 4-3D printed NACRA Beam caps available for the price of 1 Murray's cap + Shipping. Email me at jsdiii@comcast.net.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.