Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Boat storage OFF TRAILER for the season, Where to "Cradle" the boat in front?  Bottom

• Hi, I a considering storing my Nacra 5.2 next season off the trailer for ease of setup/tear down. I am particular to say the least so I'm wondering what is the safest and best location to put the Cradles it will rest on.

Most trailers seem to have the boat resting right over the front beam of the boat, I'm wondering if there is ANY stress if the boat rests on cradles up near the bridals (which is about 2.5 ft from front on a Nacra 5.2) This is seems to be a more stable location but does it strain the boat long term.

I don't want to encourage any soft hull issues which I don't have now. Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by csmonte on Nov 07, 2019 - 01:24 PM.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    YouTube link to see boat in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddinE6IorSrPpZrlvcwAjRzSIQsKYPG1
    --
  • The location of the support is not nearly as important as the type of support.

A single metal bar or wood like a fence post supporting the hull in any location is worse than a saddle or cradle. The larger you can make the area of support the larger the area of impact is distributed.

However, your boat is stronger than it seems you are giving it credit for. No soft spots were ever created from sitting on a cradle, no matter where that cradle was located. Soft spots are created from faulty manufacturing, cracks/holes that don't get repaired, age, standing water or extreme use.

If your boat is just sitting on a beach in a cradle and no 300lb gorillas are using it to practice backflips when your not looking it will be just fine no matter where it is supported.

Brad in Jacksonville, FL
    2x Stiletto 27s (one for sale soon)

By the way. Really like your videos, especially Sailing on Lake Carlyle and Whale of a Sail....very well done.

Edited by bradinjax on Nov 07, 2019 - 01:47 PM.
  • how do you plan to keep it on the ground?
    you mention cradles but what will they be attached to?

my biggest concern would wet bunk carpet or cradles that retain moisture that could work its way into your hulls via osmosis - this coud cause soft spots

i think an optimal method would be double rollers on 2x4's (or other) front and back, build a little frame that can't move. this would allow smooth gliding on and off this platform, easy movement onto beach wheels for getting to the water, avoid the sanding action of moving the boat around in the sand and eliminate any concerns of moisture that pools up in cradles or on carpeted bunks

As Brad mentioned a big concern for me would be people playing on the boat. if this would be on private land it's not really much of an issue but i have had kids hanging off my non stepped mast in my old apartment boat area, and seen parents allow their kids to use the trampoline as .... a trampoline on a public beach (this amazes me).

We have permits for 2 night storage on my beach and it's not uncommon to find people sitting on our boats, leaving empties on our boats, finding condoms next to our boats, i even came up to a friends cat to find 2 elderly lovebirds rolling around (dressed) and making out ... and i mean elderly.
  • I wouldn’t support it all the way up at the bridles. The objective should be to distribute the load on the hull as equally as possible. If the weight of the boat were equally distributed along its whole length, that would mean putting a cradle at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way back. However, since there is more weight at the stern, the cradles should favor the aft end of the boat somewhat. The balance point is typically around the shroud chain plates. So if you wanted to be really picky, I would divide the boat length into thirds (which for a 5.2 is about 5.5 feet) and put one bunk about 5.5 feet in front of and behind the shroud chain plates.

sm
  • I would recommend locating the bulkhead locations, front & back, and placing the cradles as near as possible to those areas.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • As far forward as you can - perhaps on a bulkhead. This makes the boat more stable on the ground and less likely to capsize.

Make sure you have anchors on the ground, and tie it to the anchors. I typically set 4, each with a bit of bright line, and I tie them to the 4 trapeze wires. The aft anchors could be tied to the footstraps instead.
  • What about 4 old tyres, wherever they fall?
  • bradinjaxThe location of the support is not nearly as important as the type of support.

If your boat is just sitting on a beach in a cradle and no 300lb gorillas are using it to practice backflips when your not looking it will be just fine no matter where it is supported.

By the way. Really like your videos, especially Sailing on Lake Carlyle and Whale of a Sail....very well done.Edited by bradinjax on Nov 07, 2019 - 01:47 PM.

Thanks for the reply, The plans were to use the Catrax to rest the boat on, so it will be distributed fairly well in the front. The rear would most likely sit on sterns and on a rubber pad unless I come up with another idea. I assumed the fiberglass is strong, but I also see older boats get weak. Thanks for the comment also about video's. Whale of a Sail is a large event at our club that I chaired and used to try to promote it. If you haven't seen the Dauphin Island video's take a look there are 2 of them.
    Charlie

MN3how do you plan to keep it on the ground?
    you mention cradles but what will they be attached to?

my biggest concern would wet bunk carpet or cradles that retain moisture that could work its way into your hulls via osmosis - this coud cause soft spots

As Brad mentioned a big concern for me would be people playing on the boat. if this would be on private land it's not really much of an issue but i have had kids hanging off my non stepped mast in my old apartment boat area, and seen parents allow their kids to use the trampoline as .... a trampoline on a public beach (this amazes me).

We have permits for 2 night storage on my beach and it's not uncommon to find people sitting on our boats, leaving empties on our boats, finding condoms next to our boats, i even came up to a friends cat to find 2 elderly lovebirds rolling around (dressed) and making out ... and i mean elderly.

The idea was to use the Cattraxx and support the "bar" to where the wheels just float off ground durring storage with something. This way the "to ground" load isn't put on, or dependent on the inflated tires. Boat will be strapped to ground in a few places with anchors.

Sounds like you've had some bad experience with random people enjoying your boat when your sleeping. That's crazy. On vacation I seen a H16 sail up and beach overnight, as I walked down beach at night I noticed a couple laying on it, I kinda grilled him on what it was and if it was his....luckily this time it was the owners son. Boat is in a very quiet place, and with boat cover on it would be a lot of work to lay on it.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • QuoteDogboy

Very good idea to consider, I haven't heard of this one as much but makes since.

Quotedssaak

To me this would seem like the most logical answer, weather or not I like it lol. Thanks

Quotemartin_langhoff

When beached temporarily I slide them up front, adding MUCH more stability. Stability is always a concern, we get tornadoes out by us to storms get pretty nasty at times. As far as long term, I just testing waters to make sure its a good idea. Thanks

Thanks for all the responses, I'm amazed at the variety of ideas here, Seems that there isn't a nailed down perfect solution. LOL. What do the Olympic Sailors do? How does Nacra Store all there boats? But they have $$$ and keep getting new boats LOL

Charlie

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • QuoteWhen beached temporarily I slide them up front, adding MUCH more stability. Stability is always a concern, we get tornadoes out by us to storms get pretty nasty at times. As far as long term, I just testing waters to make sure its a good idea. Thanks

Not just more stability, also less pressure. When the wheels are centered and the boat balanced, they take 100% of the weight, when moved forward, it’s closer to 50%. I move them forward, under the bridle or so, even for one night. If i don’t nothing will happen but i dont sleep as well.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.