Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.2 Outhaul  Bottom

• My mainsail foot is so long on my 5.2 that the outhaul doesn't provide actual tension. Should re-drill the slide 3-4" back to line it up on the back of the boom or just wait for a new main one day?

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer"
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Then again my tack is ~12" above the gooseneck. Pulling more downhaul may bring the outhaul back in range.

--
    --
  • You may not have a 5.2 boom. It should be about 3-1/2" tall by 2" wide. I'm going off memory, so I may be off. But, while the sail it loose, you should be able to apply medium tension. The remaining tension should come when the downhaul is tightened.

Can you send a pic of what you are referring to as the "slide"? If I recall, there was a track at the end with a car.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Its a 5.2 boom alright. Looks just like everyone I have ever seen pictured. I am not too worried about it now. My bolt rope might have shrunk causing the luff to be short under light tension. This makes the tack way shy of the gooseneck causing the boom to be high and seemingly too short.

--
    --
  • rch701Its a 5.2 boom alright. Looks just like everyone I have ever seen pictured. I am not too worried about it now. My bolt rope might have shrunk causing the luff to be short under light tension. This makes the tack way shy of the gooseneck causing the boom to be high and seemingly too short.

bring your sail to a sail maker - this is an easy and relatively cheap fix

if your boltrope/luff is that shrunk this is probably distorting sail shape and outhaul is a nice adjustment to have and a relatively major source of sail shape for the lower part of your sail
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=132420
    Found a picture. Based on the luff crinkles I think I need to tension up the cunningham.

--
    --
  • You will have to right click and open the link in a new tab.

--
    --
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132423&g2_serialNumber=3
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132423&g2_serialNumber=3

QuoteThis makes the tack way shy of the gooseneck causing the boom to be high and seemingly too short.

unless 5.2's have a floating gooseneck that isn't attached to the mast - your tack doesn't have any effect on your boom height (this is set by your gooseneck location)- you clew could effect the angle (height) of your boom, but your mast rake would too.
  • rch701https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=132420
    Found a picture. Based on the luff crinkles I think I need to tension up the cunningham.

That's not terrible. Easy fix. Lay the sail out on the ground. At the tack, bottom of the bolt rope, there will be some heavy stitching holding the bolt rope in place. Cut this stitching loose and pull the threads out. The bolt rope will slide up the luff. Put the sail up and tighten the downhaul. This will pull the shrunken bolt rope up and eliminate most of the wrinkles. For ideal shape, take pictures from the boom up the sail. Start with no downhaul and mark on the mast each inch as you pull the downhaul. Take a picture at each mark. You can then take the pictures on the computer and compare the draft. You will find that your max draft will be about 25% downhaul tension. The benefit of this is two fold: you know where your max draft is and you can see how much the sail flattens out with max downhaul. As the wind builds, pull downhaul to flatten the mainsail. This will help keep the boat "on it's feet". On the 5.2, you know you have too much downhaul tension when you get a funky inversion bend from the tack to the batten just below the logo. We used to run a 24:1 downhaul system.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Thanks texastuma! That is some good advice. Sounds like a good winter project for me. I was under the impression that with no rake on the diamond wires that I don't need anything like 24:1 on the downhaul. More along a 3:1 or 4:1. I had a 6:1 on my 5.0 but the total length of blocks and shackles made it ineffective.

Quoteunless 5.2's have a floating gooseneck that isn't attached to the mast - your tack doesn't have any effect on your boom height

I am talking about the end of boom elevation. I have seen many photos where the 5.2 foot is close to the boom. I have a big enough gap to jump through.

--
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.