Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Navigation equipment for beachcat?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• charlescarlisHey Scott - Steve Paulson says "hi". We were out last Sunday at the dike (alone) and it was awesome sailing! It got to honkin' around 4 o'clock. Good wind direction for long runs before a tack.

Yeah - don't rub it in; I had to cancel going to the Reach... Band contest. My son's band is going to state this year (Junior/high school/drum major/great show). So, I'm not just a BAD parent for missing, I'm "....just a little bit efil..."(evil). icon_smile Actually, I'm a pretty committed dad, so...

What phone do you use? How do you manage protecting it? I'm thinking specifically about exploring up to Redfish, and a bit further when I can.

I haven't seen him in a long time... I understand the pulls.. we need to get him out on the boat next time. We are going to stick with regattas/events/seminars, etc on second Saturday's this year.

I used an iPhone in a Lifeproof case; until I killed 2 phones in 6 months. Somehow it leaked through the case. I typically have the phone in my lifejacket pocket until the case leaked from spray. The second died with the phone in a Lifeproof in the tramp pocket. I have a small Garmin handheld GPS for the Dash. It works well, but I mainly rely on dead reckoning. I saw a small display unit that toggled through what displays you wanted; speed, course, VMG, etc. It was designed to be compact to use on a small keelboat or multihull.. But, it is in the $1200 range.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • A few of us use a Garmin Fortrex 301. Used to new they run a range of $50 to $150. Very functional for the price.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • One big difference between the Garmin handhelds and phones is the Garmin has the transflective display. When I was at West Marine looking at the GPSMap 76Cx, I was upgrading from an old Garmin GPS 12 which had the liquid crystal display which was not effected by sunlight. At the time I thought all color displays were equal in that they were practically not readable in sunlight. When the salesman told me the transflective display would actually be EASIER to read in direct sun, I told him if he unpackaged it, threw in some batteries, and took me out in the parking lot to prove it, I'd buy it. That's just what happened.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • texastumaI used an iPhone in a Lifeproof case; until I killed 2 phones in 6 months

Scott, at the AYC Centerboard regatta, I forgot my phone on the tramp when we walked the boat down the ramp... I just threw it (Samsung S9+) in the tramp pocket and went and raced all day. Samsung's claim of waterproof was true.

As far as equipment, I use a Garmin 78sc and a Suunto Ambit3 that I program with the same waypoints and routes as the Garmin. I have a 76S as a backup that I actually kind of like better than the 78sc, but connectivity, speed and mapping is much better with the newer unit.
  • wlrottge
    texastumaI used an iPhone in a Lifeproof case; until I killed 2 phones in 6 months

Scott, at the AYC Centerboard regatta, I forgot my phone on the tramp when we walked the boat down the ramp... I just threw it (Samsung S9+) in the tramp pocket and went and raced all day. Samsung's claim of waterproof was true.

As far as equipment, I use a Garmin 78sc and a Suunto Ambit3 that I program with the same waypoints and routes as the Garmin. I have a 76S as a backup that I actually kind of like better than the 78sc, but connectivity, speed and mapping is much better with the newer unit.

Good to know... the new iPhones claim to be waterproof to 3 or 6 meters... but, only fresh water, not covered with saltwater. I've come to use the phone for tracking purposes only... A couple of us are working on a large repeater display. There are some self contained units, but they are very pricey. The only navigation point I would find useful would be VMG.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • I find myself solo on some Weds Night Racing events, and the marks are small and not always visible from a distance, and I need to get a bearing with my GPS. So I fabricated a mounting that mounts the GPS to the trapeze wire. The problem is, it takes too much time to get into place after a tack.

So now I am thinking of rigging both (the old and the new) GPS units to my trapeze wires on each side. Not sure I will get used to them hanging out there twirling around in the wind when I'm not trapped out.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.