Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cruising ideas  Bottom

• Saw this pix of a Tornado with wings and what seems to be an interesting solution/idea about storing gear when cruising. Looks to me like there are some type of bags under the wings where gear is stored. First time I have seen this idea. I am sure it is important to be aware of weight distribution but seems like a clever solution of where to store stuff when cruising.

https://www.thebeachcats.…186&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Edited by ragebot on Sep 07, 2019 - 01:02 AM.
  • Interesting. A custom bag could be one foot wide, one foot deep and four or more feet long. That would hold plenty of gear.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • sorry but i am willing to bet the farm those are pfd

that is about the worst place for weight in light air - only worse spot would be at the top of the mast
    in all honesty - that guy in the pic is slowing his vmg down by being out there - (doesn't look like he cares)

our beachcats are super weight sensitive - the right location for weight (with light air) is next to the mast / forward and inboard

I have a very small forward tramp on my cat - it is hand made webing (think of large netting)
    it's only purpose is to hold my anchor and righting bag

Edited by MN3 on Sep 07, 2019 - 09:04 AM.
  • MN3sorry but i am willing to bet the farm those are pfd

that is about the worst place for weight in light air - only worse spot would be at the top of the mast
    in all honesty - that guy in the pic is slowing his vmg down by being out there - (doesn't look like he cares)

our beachcats are super weight sensitive - the right location for weight (with light air) is next to the mast / forward and inboard

I have a very small forward tramp on my cat - it is hand made webing (think of large netting)
    it's only purpose is to hold my anchor and righting bagEdited by MN3 on Sep 07, 2019 - 09:04 AM.

If you look under the whatever/PFD on the starboard hull there is a lot of stuff on the deck there. Since there is only one guy on the boat I wonder why there would be two PFDs; but I do buy into there being one PFD.

My experience has been only with multihulls since 2012 when I got my Seawind and I completely agree that not just beach cats but all multihulls are weight sensitive AND the weight needs to be in the right place.

On the other hand one of the main reasons I got my boat was for what I will call light air easy, fun, and comfortable sailing. Not saying I don't like to go fast; just that some times I like to relax and take time to smell the seaweed. I remember a thread somewhere about a windsurfer who was trying to get a beach cat to sail solo. As was pointed out if the wind got strong enough that he would have problems solo on a beach cat it would also be strong enough that he would probably be on his windsurfer.

Truth be told unless you live some place like the Columbia Gorge most days are like the one in the pix; light air and not anyone wants to go out with you. Different strokes for different folks.
  • QuoteTruth be told unless you live some place like the Columbia Gorge most days are like the one in the pix; light air and not anyone wants to go out with you. Different strokes for different folks.

for sure and i have complete respect your sailing desires and experience.

I agree it looks like he has gear on his deck under the wing
    he is gently sailing in light air - obviously not at all that worried about vmg

i am just saying that having weight there will kill you on a 18 - 20' tornado style cat during tacking in light air - and if you get surprised with some moderate air and furl the jib, it is really really (really) important to have your weight in the right spot while tacking.

IMHO you would be better off getting a small micro front tramp made or add a small pole off your front beam to hand a triangular webbing front tramp for light weight gear.

When are you going to take your cat out?

Edited by MN3 on Sep 07, 2019 - 11:09 AM.
  • is this your big boat?
    https://a4.pbase.com/o9/84/394684/1/160795520.HZfsia4y.blythespirit.jpg
    that looks like an amazing cruiser
  • MN3is this your big boat?
    https://a4.pbase.com/o9/84/394684/1/160795520.HZfsia4y.blythespirit.jpg
    that looks like an amazing cruiser

It is my boat with the Loggerhead lighthouse in the back ground. My claim to fame is I was at DT when google maps came there my boat was anchored off the North Coal Docks and if you go to google street view you can see my boat at anchor.

Hope to take my boat out next week. Dorian prep really slowed things down for me and I am still working on what to do about a gin pole. Not to mention this week FSU is playing and I will be at the game. Also not sure about the best place to launch.
  • sweet ride
    i think i need to hop on board for a day sail when you sail to the keys :)
    Does the mast rotate?

Good luck with the first sail

Score with google maps!
    when they first came out - my sister's apartment in miami had a cop busting a hooker on street view :)

this was my google steetview -
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132191&g2_serialNumber=4
  • MN3sweet ride
    i think i need to hop on board for a day sail when you sail to the keys :)
    Does the mast rotate?

Truth be told I normally sail solo and welcome crew. I hope to be in the Keys in early November and in the Bahamas for Thanksgiving.

The mast does not rotate.
  • Cruising a beach cat is a whole different set of parameters on weight placement. With limited space, the ideal spot for speed is not necessarily the best place. You have to grab any spot you can. For cruising, I think the cuddy thing that the H21sc has is fantastic.. But, I think for weight wise, you could have a dodger built to span the trampoline to store bags and such behind it. Maybe build a "floor" to keep spray from coming up. I think you could even build a bimini top the zips in to form a "tent" for sleeping. Something that can be removed while sailing. I think you could also build a full width trampoline bag (similar to the old school spinnaker bags) to store gear. Only thing I would be concerned about is having too much weight stored forward if the wind picks up. Being a little slower in light air is less crucial than too much weight forward if the wind picks up. Just depends on where you plan to go.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.