Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rope vs Shock Cord for Hobie Tramp Tie Down?  Bottom

• Greetings,

I just purchased a 1984 16' Hobie Cat and I need to replace the tramp. I am strongly considering purchasing the grey color tramp directly from Hobie and they offer "shock cord" (bungee cord) as the perimeter tie down. Do people think this cord lasts as long as rope or is a good idea compared to rope? Also, seems they offer pig rings to tie off the ends of the shock cord.

My gut tells me to use rope....but this is all new to me.

Thank you for any insight you might have.

-Kevin (FL)
  • Kevin:

In my experience, the only thing stronger than FL sun is AZ sun. I’d use rope.

Dana

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • An unrelated and unsolicited opinion,

Hobie Factory tramps are pretty pricey, may want to look at some alternatives, may need to save some money for whatever else an 84 needs.
  • Rope. UV kills bungies no matter where you are.

--
    Master UniRig Sailor
    --
  • QuoteDo people think this cord lasts as long as rope or is a good idea compared to rope?

I know some hobie sailors like to use shock cord - they think it keeps everything snung

but there is a reason we don't use elastic rope/ lines on a boat - (sans anchor line) - having an elastic halyard for example would allow a sail to droop with pressure - same thing on a tramp ... it will allow you to droop without much stress on grommets and attachment points. tramps and grommets are replaceable for a reason
    (imho) don't use bungee

want to extend the life of your tramp? rinse it after use and keep it out of the UV -

QuoteAlso, seems they offer pig rings to tie off the ends of the shock cord.

Hog ring and hog ring pliers - not pig rings :) .
  • low stretch quality rope. As jalex said, skip the Hobie factory tramp, go third party and spend the extra on good rope. You'll be happy you did.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • badfishlow stretch quality rope. As jalex said, skip the Hobie factory tramp, go third party and spend the extra on good rope. You'll be happy you did.

For the record, I don't agree that this is absolutely true. I've seen some aftermarket tramps that were fine.....some were crap. The Hobie tramp is top quality (and pricey)! Granted, for an '84 boat I'd probably be looking for a serviceable used one.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteFor the record, I don't agree that this is absolutely true. I've seen some aftermarket tramps that were fine..

can you be specific -
    what brands worked best
    what stunk?

side note: aren't the hobie tramps vinyl ? and most after market are mesh
  • MN3side note: aren't the hobie tramps vinyl ? and most after market are mesh

They were originally solid vinyl but are now mostly mesh. I think they still offer the solid tramps but only in white.

Some aftermarket tramps are very good, but the Hobie factory tramps are the best, and also the most expensive. But any of the really good aftermarket ones are going to be close to factory price but maybe offer some options people like. The low end of the tramp spectrum gets you on the water but won't last very long or fit very well.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thank you for all your quality info! Helps a lot.
  • MN3
    QuoteFor the record, I don't agree that this is absolutely true. I've seen some aftermarket tramps that were fine..

can you be specific -
    what brands worked best
    what stunk?

side note: aren't the hobie tramps vinyl ? and most after market are mesh

I've seen Sunrise and SLO tramps that appeared to be fine quality. Not sure of manufacturer names, but there have been several places cranking cheap ones out (primarily on ebay), and I've seen some of those that were pitiful with regard to fit and quality.

Hobie tramps are heat welded, not stitched (like all the aftermarket ones of which I'm aware). Stitching failures due to UV/wear have been mitigated somewhat lately with the use of Teflon thread....but that is typically an option and ups the price. Most anything that improves quality costs more.

All the Hobie manufactured tramps I've ever seen were made of vinyl. As Damon wrote, solid vinyl used to be the only option. For a very long time now, vinyl mesh has been the norm.

The OP's question was about lacing (line v. shock cord)....not which tramp to buy, but (as often occurs) the discussion diverged. He was told to skip the Hobie tramp and given a vague recommendation to go "third party" with the only basis for that recommendation being price. While I'm not up on pricing and quality of every tramp manufacturer out there today, I am of the opinion that this comment is misleading at best. A lower price for reduced quality is very often not the better value. If you want further clarification, perhaps you should question the author of that comment about its meaning (as you did my rebuttal).

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteIf you want further clarification, perhaps you should question the author of that comment about its meaning (as you did my rebuttal).

no thanks - i was asking you about your experience since you stated you have seen some that were crap

thanks for the info
  • i have used a low stretch line for many years. the tramp is only on during summer months here in Wisconsin. I don't think any bungee out there would have lasted as long as the line has. i trailer so i appreciate the sturdiness of lines vs bungee during the mast stepping process. i made from stainless rod, !/4" or 3/16" 3 diff length "Tensioning tools" simple hooks with handle bent at the end. set up the tramp, then tighten up after first sail or when ever.
    https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOrhT7XJ-dji8YPeJqIWpkyrpRb5Cavpn65cBG5/photo/AF1QipM6IZM6cGpTmtiz9FJjdq4hozC3BYfufhweX30J

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • i have used a low stretch line for many years. the tramp is only on during summer months here in Wisconsin. I don't think any bungee out there would have lasted as long as the line has. i trailer so i appreciate the sturdiness of lines vs bungee during the mast stepping process. i made from stainless rod, !/4" or 3/16" 3 diff length "Tensioning tools" simple hooks with handle bent at the end. set up the tramp, then tighten up after first sail or when ever. haven't figgered out the pic thing yet, should be a link there.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOrhT7XJ-dji8YPeJqIWpkyrpRb5Cavpn65cBG5/photo/AF1QipM6IZM6cGpTmtiz9FJjdq4hozC3BYfufhweX30J

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.