Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Welding on a Nacra mast base  Bottom

• I was wondering if anyone has experience welding on a Nacra mast base. I need to repair the holes for the step pin that were broken raising the mast. Mainly wondering how the material is to weld. I have been
    honing my tig skills and am finding a wide discrepancy between different cast aluminum. Some welds
    like spreading butter, others not so much. Before I attack the mast I want to know what I am up against
    in the quality of the aluminum.

Thanks.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • For $120 you can get a new mast base from Murray's.

Or, for free, you can just take a piece of line and tie it around the mast and to the front beam as a preventer. This will keep the mast from coming completely off while raising/lowering. My Marstrom Tornado didn't and my Nacra 20C doesn't have a pin in the base; point being, the pin isn't a necessity.
  • The base at Murrays for the carbon mast is $135 and isn't the one that I have with the 3 sheaves on the base.
    I don't see mine listed. I know about the trick to use a piece of line, but I prefer the simplicity of the pin.
    I can't make my base any worse so I will try and weld on the ears.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • wlrottgeF

Or, for free, you can just take a piece of line and tie it around the mast and to the front beam as a preventer. This will keep the mast from coming completely off while raising/lowering.

Standard Operating Procedure for a NACRA... that pin in there tear up your mast ball and looks only..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • pknapp66The base at Murrays for the carbon mast is $135 and isn't the one that I have with the 3 sheaves on the base.
    I don't see mine listed. I know about the trick to use a piece of line, but I prefer the simplicity of the pin.
    I can't make my base any worse so I will try and weld on the ears.

Sorry, you didn't specify which mast base you were looking for.

Regardless, I agree with JohnES; if you weld it and it doesn't work well and you're relying on only the pin, your mast isn't going to have a good day.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.