Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Water in prindle 19 mast....  Bottom

• Not coming out ..remove a rivet from top cap??
    Leaked in from a intentional flip..thought I had it sealed.
    Can hear quite a bit sloshing around :)
  • Drill out the rivet at the front of the mast at the base. Let the water drain out and replace with a self tapping SS screw and seal. Then make sure all through mast fitting are sealed, all rivets, all edges of fittings etc. Next time you flip remove screw at bottom of mast see if any water come out. If possible after sealing mast, dip in a swimming pool and look for bubbles, you can do one end at a time if it is a small pool.
  • Next time you go to the lake "throw" the mast in the water and look for bubbles. They will show up where it is not sealed. Always a good idea as Hullflyer pointed out to have a way for the water to get out at the base. I assume you flipped it for righting practice? Great skill to practice.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Stainless steel does not always work and play well with others. There are several products recommended to coat stainless steel fittings before they are used. Amazon has lots, I have had success with white lithium grease if I am going to be removing and inserting the fitting several times.
  • Stainless steel does not always work and play well with others. There are several products recommended to coat stainless steel fittings before they are used. Amazon has lots, I have had success with white lithium grease if I am going to be removing and inserting the fitting several times.
  • carl2Not coming out ..remove a rivet from top cap??
    Leaked in from a intentional flip..thought I had it sealed.
    Can hear quite a bit sloshing around :)

As everyone else stated, drill out a rivet and let it drain. I would suggest plugging the hole with something (tape will work) and dunking it to see where it leaked in from. Once you've ensured the rest of the mast is watertight, remove your plug and replace the rivet. I would suggest drilling out one of the mast base rivets so that once you've checked the top of the mast for watertight-ness, you know its good to go.

Ragebot is on point about the SS. I would personally try to avoid as much contact as possible, though they do make compounds to use. Tef-Gel is my go to.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • I have 1/4 20 socket head set screws with rubber O-rings how about coating one with white lithium grease since I'm in freshwater only I was going to use a number 7 to drill out the rivet hole and tap it
  • carl2I have 1/4 20 socket head set screws with rubber O-rings how about coating one with white lithium grease since I'm in freshwater only I was going to use a number 7 to drill out the rivet hole and tap it

For applications that don't require strength like this one I would use a 1/4 20 nylon screws. I buy a lot of stuff from McMasters-Carrhttps://www.mcmaster.com/nylon-screws but you can probably get them at plenty of other places.

Edited by ragebot on Aug 16, 2019 - 10:40 PM.
  • Drill a hole in the bottom of the mast base about 1/4" behind the ball receiver... clean it out from time to time.. this will let the water drain out...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.