Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

folding prop  Bottom

• I have quasi permanently mounted trolling motors at the bottom of the two rudders on a P-Cat. (I am not a racing sailor obviously!) Works great for tacking in light winds. When the wind picks up, the boat very quickly outruns the motors. Locked, free wheeling or running they then cause drag. Does anyone know of small folding props that might be fitted to these motors?
    Budd budshr@cox.net

Edited by budd on Jul 31, 2019 - 12:02 PM.
  • Blasphemy!

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Many of the things I've done in life have been considered blasphemy by some, Joshua, but at 87 years of age, I
    don't paddle or scramble or a few other things quite as well as I did, so I'm simply looking to stretch my remaining sailing days out as long as possible.
    Bud
  • at 87 you get a pass for sure!

most poeple with engines on their cats have a method to swing the engine up when not in use
    like a cheta-mount
    http://cheatabrackets.com/attachments/CropImages/8350f805a369ae5c1f45edd5f133e72b.jpeg

http://cheatabrackets.com/
  • Budd, you Sir are an inspiration and I applaud you for still getting out there and finding a way to make it all work for you, awesome!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • buddMany of the things I've done in life have been considered blasphemy by some, Joshua, but at 87 years of age, I
    don't paddle or scramble or a few other things quite as well as I did, so I'm simply looking to stretch my remaining sailing days out as long as possible.
    Bud

87 and still sailing cats? I'll personally paddle your boat out for you. Hats off to you, Budd.

+1 for MN3's suggestion. That's the typical arrangement I'm accustomed to seeing.
    How difficult would it be to remove your setup from your existing rudder blades?

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • buddI have quasi permanently mounted trolling motors at the bottom of the two rudders on a P-Cat.

Do you have any picture? I'm very curious
  • Folding for a trolling will likely require either shaping one yourself with wood and eye bolts or having one 3d printed. I have always wanted to make a jet pump (think jet ski) for each hull that one could slide a cover over the intake while sailing. I ended up making a mount for my single trolling motor and it is here for those in tough harbors.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…898c9b06576166752b7c1100

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • thanks for the responses. will send photos when I figure how to do so.
    Budd

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.